TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Otari MX 5050 Scored!  (Read 6108 times)

Offline twinbugles52

• I hope they value his society-Mark Twain
    • View Profile
Otari MX 5050 Scored!
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
Greetings, all:

Just had to share with you all my newRTR. I found an Otari MX 5050 B2 HD on ebay (I know:( ) It was listed as an one-owner-since-new-used for home recording. I emailed the owner, asking about head condition and VU meter lamp function, and recieved the reply " what are those?" Seems it was owned by the lister's husband, since passed away, who told her beforehand "Everything is OK with the Otari". So I crossed my fingers, and did the BIN thing. I was somewhat concerned about packing/shipping, since it was in Florida and I am in Oregon. The woman had it packed by the UPS Pack n' Ship Store in Orlando ($150.00 to ship and pack).
I wrung my hands about it for a week. It arrived this morning, and to my great relief, it was EXTREMELY well packed, shipped cross-country on its back, and came through it all unscathed!
To my delight, the original owner was quite exacting in its' care and feeding, arriving with all of its' original accessories, plus a few more. It came with the original manual, Otari take up reel still in its' box, the Otari hub adaptors, a tape with alignment test tones,  and a full set of 4 cables for input/output, all for $225.00. DEELIGHTFUL!!

On the minus side were 3 burnt out meter lamps, and a heavy coating of nicotine residue on everything. I spent several hours scrubbing and bathing all I could, cleaned and demagged the heads, Deoxit to all the pots and switches, and replaced the meter lamps, plugged it in to the Variac for a slow charge-up, and took it for a test spin afterwards. EVERYTHING functions beautifully. It records and reproduces beautifully!

A good day, all considered. I just had to share!
Cheers!
Bill
Bill Hurley
Retired Fire Captain
Collector of vintage audio equipment
Otari MX-50, 2 MX5050 B2HD, Revox A 700,  Akai GX-635D, Pioneer Rt 1020L, RT 707, Tascam 40-4

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX 5050 Scored!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Good deal Bill!

It doesn't seem that long ago when about every third Otari sold was for crazy low prices (they're still a great bargain IMHO). I'm afraid those days are gone but you've proven that it's still possible to find a good one for the same money it takes to gas up the RV.
Thanks for sharing!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
you've proven that it's still possible to find a good one for the same money it takes to gas up the RV.

I suppose that depends upon what your RV is. This is Steven Spielberg's.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline twinbugles52

• I hope they value his society-Mark Twain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:44 AM »
Nice Boat!! And to think the Otari will not even float....

Thanks to Iornbut and Doc for the replies!

Bill
Bill Hurley
Retired Fire Captain
Collector of vintage audio equipment
Otari MX-50, 2 MX5050 B2HD, Revox A 700,  Akai GX-635D, Pioneer Rt 1020L, RT 707, Tascam 40-4

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:54:39 AM »
Well the Otari may sink like a stone, but it sure floats my boat.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1