Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Bay Area Get Together Sunday March 18  (Read 7600 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Bay Area Get Together Sunday March 18
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
Hi Folks, It has been a while since we got together. Looks like a week from Sunday (March 18) works well. At Chez Toy we have a couple of new things, including a great software package, Isotope RX2 which does a fabulous job in removing clicks from vinyl without removing the music. My digitalization project continues, including moving into my collection of the Absolute Sound Super Discs. I also have all of Series Two of the TP - we can compare the Liszt Piano Sonata by Nojima to the original vinyl.  Also the new Yarlung tapes. Let me know if you can make it. I will PM you with the specific directions and other info.  Plan to start sometime in the mid day and have a pot luck lunch.  Hope to see you there.   Larry
My direct email is [email protected]

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Area Get Together Sunday March 18
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
I'm looking forward to attending and I'll have a few tapes to share also (hopefully the "Shins" tape will show up before then).
Larry's always been a great host and very generous to share his home and amazing record collection with us (if you've never seen it, going to see all those albums is worth the drive).

I would suggest that other members here should try and organize one of these gatherings in your part of the world. They're great fun and it's always a treat to be able to talk tape with someone else that actually knows what you're talking about!
It's great to be in an area with a good many TP subscribers and members of this forum, but even if you can only muster 4 or 5, it's still tons of fun.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »
I'm looking forward to attending and I'll have a few tapes to share also (hopefully the "Shins" tape will show up before then).
Larry's always been a great host and very generous to share his home and amazing record collection with us (if you've never seen it, going to see all those albums is worth the drive).

I would suggest that other members here should try and organize one of these gatherings in your part of the world. They're great fun and it's always a treat to be able to talk tape with someone else that actually knows what you're talking about!
It's great to be in an area with a good many TP subscribers and members of this forum, but even if you can only muster 4 or 5, it's still tons of fun.

"like" !
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »
I am sorry that I have to miss yet another get together.....that's what happens when you have a 12 year old - weekend afternoons are difficult. This one sounds especially interesting! That evening I will be attending the Leo Kottke concert in Mountain View.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:02:21 PM »
Thanks again Larry for hosting another  fun afternoon of rampant audiophilia !
Steve Williams

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
Thanks so much Larry!
Great music, company and eats,.. What more could you ask for.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
So what did I miss?

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
So what did I miss?

Tom

I suppose Larry would be the better one to answer this (as well as others there) but for what it is worth -
Along with excellent discussion over food and drink we heard Larry's latest efforts with high resolution digital transfer including his Isotope RX2 software for musical vinyl cleanup.
We heard the digital transfer of the TP release of the RR Nojima Liszt vs. the same thing played live (not by Nojima) via Yamaha Disklavier  on a piano in the room.
We heard part of "The Sermon" on TP tape.
We heard  a wonderful tape of Count Basie  big band jazz at an LA party circa 1961
We heard David Grisman "Hot Dawg" from vinyl - always nice to hear on a great system. Turns out that half of the people there own a copy of this record.
Last, we heard  the 3 chan. SACD reissue vs,  the 2 channel layer of same SACD via Larry's server, vs. 71/2 ips 2 track vintage tape vs. vinyl of the Mercury Living Presence recording of Frederick Fennell and  the Eastman-Rochester Pops Orchestra doing Leroy Anderson
(guess whose idea THAT was ;-)
There was probably even more, but that is what I remember...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:09:39 PM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 12:06:22 PM »

We heard David Grisman "Hot Dawg" from vinyl - always nice to hear on a great system. Turns out that half of the people there own a copy of this record.

I was just playing that LP last night, to evaluate a LOMC I have on loan - Haniwa HCTRO1

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,2793.0.html
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project