Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Otari MX-5050 BII  (Read 6872 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Otari MX-5050 BII
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:59:26 AM »
I'm wondering does anyone else have the same problem when they play the large reels? When I play the large reels there appears to be a shimmy on one reel and sometimes on both reels. I now have the proper NAB hubs and make every attempt to seat them in the reels properly. In particular I notice problems when I fast wind or re-wind reels.

It seems that I read about "rubber mats" that sit on the reel turntables, but I have not been able to find any. I would love the hear from anyone who might be having the same problem or who has experience this problem and fixed it. Thanks all.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
Re: Otari MX-5050 BII
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
Hi Bob.

If it makes you feel any better, none of the commercial 10.5" metal reels I have are competely "true" - they all "shimmy" some, some more than others.  I have some plastic 10.5" reels that are much better.  On a couple, I have loosened the screws holding the flanges, re-aligned the flanges with the hub, and re-tightened, and the reels are better.  However, the lack of "trueness" doesn't affect the tape pack when the tape is played (that is, I get a nice, even tape pack, even if the reel flanges are a bit out of true).  Fast winding does cause a bit of vibration because of the lack of true on the reels, but it doesn't seem to affect any important parameter when the tape is played.

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 06:52:47 AM »
Hello John,

It's great to hear from you again. Thank you for this support. I wondered what the problem might be with my metal reels. As you said, none of them are "True" which makes for some concern. Your suggestions regarding how I might make them a little better is welcomed. Tell me John, do you use a thin rubber mat on top of the reel turntables? And if you do, does that appear to make a difference?

At any rate I am about to put on Beethoven's 9th symphony and sit back and enjoy. Thanks again for your support and input and look to hear from you again.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 01:20:48 AM »
I've got a couple of the rubber mats that I find useful if I've got a reel flange that rubs on tape.  I'm learning not to tolerate much rubbing as I notice that I get a bit more flutter, be it ever so faint, if the takeup reel has any flange rubbing at all.  I've also found that I prefer plastic reels over metal because of "trueness" issue.

John, thanks for the tip about loosening the screws on metal reels. 
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
There's some pretty nice looking 10.5" plastic reels out there. I used to have a nice black one that I used on an A77 I used to have. I think you can buy RMGI tape on plastic reels too. Flanging is a real problem since it damages the edge of the tape and will cause the tape pack to be uneven, ruining the tape eventually. Most better decks have adjustments for reel table height. Just be sure to reference the height to the heads/guides.
BTW I stumbled across a PR99 kit over on Ebay this morning. It has a lot of parts for the money ( I think it was about $50 ). Of course, I think these parts are still available from JM but I bet the brake linings alone would cost $50.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades