Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Rudy Interview  (Read 1766 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Rudy Interview
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:07:27 AM »
I had to think about whether this should be posted in "Grammy" thread that Doc started in the "Events" forum but it thought I'd start a new one.

One of my longtime heros, Rudy Van Gelder received the Trustees Award at this year's Grammy Awards.
And on the heels of that honor, a rare interview with him has been located by Tom Fine who is right up there with the best I've ever seen at mining the web for great music related links.
So, here's the 5 part series by Marc Myers on Jazzwax.

http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/02/interview-rudy-van-gelder-part-1.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: Rudy Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:49 AM »
Excellent...thank you for posting the link :-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:45 AM »
Hi Sam,

Be sure and check out the links within the article. Some good stuff there too.

If you haven't seen it already, do yourself a favor and rent (or buy) the DVD of "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music".
It's a great documentary on the work of another famous recording engineer and nuclear physicist who did his early work with Atlantic during the Coltrane years and eventually ended up working on Layla (Clapton, Duane Allman etc).
I really love the early recording days with those "big knob" consoles.

It's a bummer that it isn't available for instant streaming from Netflix or Amazon yet. I guess I'll just have to keep breaking into Paul's house to watch his copy.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:44:44 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  I've bookmarked the website and will seek your DVD rec.  I'm really enthusiastic about extending my affliction -- I mean, hobby -- with remote analog recording.  I dig it that RVG appears to be so analytical with his technique!
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »
Here's a video interview of Rudy by Micheal Cuscuna with some cool stuff about his cd remasters, his recording studio and even a little show and tell with his lathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naK0qaUVSqc
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades