Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 2 track stereo with 1/4 track heads  (Read 4818 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
2 track stereo with 1/4 track heads
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:26:25 PM »
I have been wondering what is the nature of the loss of playing a 2 track stereo tape with a 1/4 track stereo head.
Some of my classic (ahem...relic) tape machines have a mechanical lever or switch that actually shifts the 1/4 track head downward to center it on  the tape rather than covering positions "1 & 3" as it normally would. This as opposed to an electrical switch for another head as some newer decks have. Aside from the wisdom of designing a mechanism that physically moves the head, pretending it all works correctly, how much is lost by playing 2 track tapes with the narrower gap head properly centered? I understand there must be some loss, but is it signal to noise? Frequency response should be OK IF the head is in alignment. I know it does not work so well to play one with  a 1/4 track head in it's normal position. I think that would lead to high frequency loss from not being centered on the track, even if azimuth is spot-on, but I am not sure of that.
Anybody ever do any critical evaluation of this?  I would think that those lucky enough to have 2 PB  heads with a switch could simply change it and hear what changes in the middle of playback.
When I change my 1/4 track head to the 2 track position, I hear a slight balance change and it gets a bit louder, but frequency response seems to be unaffected. 
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 2 track stereo with 1/4 track heads
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:10 AM »
Hi Steve,

I would think that (in theory at least) you'd get some "fringe effect" from the wider track of the 1/2 track tape with a 1/4 track head set in the middle.
Aside from that, just getting a mechanism to "slide" the playback head and still retain proper alignment from one position to another would make getting optimum playback a tough row ta hoe.
It is a pretty clever set up though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: 2 track stereo with 1/4 track heads
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Here is one example of such a deck from the beginnings of The Tape Project -
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/bottleheadtapeheadpreamp.htm
I have about 3 Ampex machines, two with transports similar to the one in the picture and one 600 series transport based stereo playback only deck, plus a Wollensak, and a Roberts/Akai that have this mechanical shift scheme. I believe I once owned a Viking as well that had a little H/Q knob on it's head block. Probably was fairly common through the mid 60s when there were a large # of both mono and stereo machines around. The same feature would theoretically allow you to play mono 2 track tapes properly.
Here is an image of that Viking knob I just lifted from eBay -
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VINTAGE-VIKING-88-STEREO-TUBE-REEL-REEL-TAPE-RECORDER-1965-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqZ,!ooE8c7KNIHNBPVihP(Khg~~60_57.JPG
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:46:35 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...