Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: otari mx-5050 questions  (Read 5037 times)

Offline bobbeanbags

• View Profile
otari mx-5050 questions
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
The tape project bug bit me courtesy of DocB a few weeks ago and I picked up an Otari MX5050 BII for $160. Once I spent a few hours cleaning the gunk off of the heads everything appears to be working but I had a few questions.

1. headphones plugged into the headphone jack sound very loud and distorted, there doesnt seem to be a volume control, any thoughts on this? I picked up a cheap beheringer mixer and have the low impedence output going into the mic preamps of the mixer for now and im using the phones output on the mixer.

2. I recorded the 1 khz and 10 khz test tones on tape (30 year old tape) playing back they are pretty close on frequency using an iphone audio analysis program. The left channel seems to be significantly louder (20 db or so) when im playing back the tones. A recording on the old tape that came with the machine has the same volume on left and right channels so I think it probbly the record settings ajustment or heads? could demagnitizzing the heads help? havent done that yet but did order a new tape yesterday. Just downloaded the alignment proceedures for the unit but I dont have a lot of the analysis equpment needed to set up the alignment atgmvnmnd dont want to fix something that isnt broken. I assume that is simply the record level ajustment screw?

3. rewinding one of the old tapes is extreemely slow, is this a spring ajustment on the felt brakes?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: otari mx-5050 questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

Try cleaning the headphone jack with some contact cleaner. Don't spray it into it but rather, wet a little brush or pipe cleaner with the cleaner (something like Deoxit D5) and keep moving it around in there till it comes out clean.
You should be able to adjust the headphone out level with the Output level for the machine.
It's a good idea to "work" all the knobs and switches by rotating or switching several times. Listen as you do this since you'll move the grime and oxidation (which will make a scratchy sound). Don't forget the playback head switch (1/2 to 1/4 track) since that one tends to be a trouble spot.
I also suggest that you do a careful cleaning of the heads and all the guides that the tape comes in contact with. Just use high percentage alcohol and some swabs. For major cleaning jobs, it's best to lay the machine on it's back, get a bright light and a magnifier of some sort. Pay close attention to the edges (in your case, the inside edge since that is the right channel).
Any gunk on the tape path will lift the tape away from the head and cause "spacing losses" which could easily result in the 20% loss of signal you're experiencing.

Speaking of which, you mentioned that the tape that you used to test is 30 years old. The loss of signal could be caused by issues with the tape just as easily as with the machine.
Get yourself some new tape (RMGI or ATR Magnetics) and do your tests with that. If the tapes you have happen to be something like backcoated Ampex/Quantagy, toss them. Many of the backcoated tapes from the late 70's onward, had a problem call Sticky Shed Syndrome. And unless these tapes have important recordings on them, they're more trouble than they're worth.
Slow rewinding is a symptom of Sticky Shed and eventually will stop the machine entirely. You may need to use something stronger than alcohol to clean the gunk these tapes leave behind. If you have something like Naptha, that seems to do a good job. Or if you're going to order some tape anyway, US Recording Media has head cleaners that work great. Don't expect the stuff from sticky tapes to clean right off. Sometimes it takes cleaning 5 or more times to get all the gunk (especially in the corners of the guides). Just a tiny speck can slow down a tape or make it squeal.
There are adjustments for the brakes on Otari's. I suggest that you try the cleaning before jumping into that.

Here's the link to US Recording Media;

http://usrecordingmedia.com/

You should also check out the "Beginners Guide" and "Links" located above the General Forum in stickies.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:43:47 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
Re: otari mx-5050 questions
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »
Just as an aside, if your rewind is slow specifically on these older tapes, it could be the sticky-shed of the tape that is slowing it down. My multi-track machine rewound old shed-prone tapes very very slowly, and once I purchased new ATR tape, there is no issue whatsoever with the speed of rewind. For me it was simply the "gunk" of the tape causing too much friction, so to speak.
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes