Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: miniature reels smaller than 3"  (Read 4715 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
miniature reels smaller than 3"
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
Does anybody have any idea where I can find reels with or without tape smaller than 3"?
I have a collection of small "pocket" recorders and a couple will not  take even the more or less standard 3" or 3 1/4" or 3 1/2" size.
IIRC there were 2 3/8", 2 1/2", 2 3/4", and possibly some other sizes that were pretty small as well. I'm not even sure if any of the sizes I mentioned were ever really "standard". I think the one recorder uses 2 1/2". They mate with standard turntable spindles but the hubs are small enough I don't think I could "turn down" the outer flange on a 3" and make it work. Perhaps, if it did not have holes very near the edge and a really small inner hub...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: miniature reels smaller than 3"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »
Hi Steve,

I'd give some of the places like "Phantoms Reel to Reel Museum" a try. Too bad places like Olsons or Lafayette Electronics aren't still around. They used to carry that sort of thing.
In the meantime, here's a site that has some of those little guys.

http://www.dustygizmos.com/arcpages/arctape.htm

Also, check with D'Antiques,.. I'll post a link that'll drop you right onto their classical tape page with a Leroy Anderson tape right on the top (but if you wind yourself back to their home page, they have all kinds of audio goodies.

http://www.1stintunes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=199&cat=Classical
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'd give some of the places like "Phantoms Reel to Reel Museum" a try. Too bad places like Olsons or Lafayette Electronics aren't still around. They used to carry that sort of thing.
In the meantime, here's a site that has some of those little guys.

http://www.dustygizmos.com/arcpages/arctape.htm

Also, check with D'Antiques,.. I'll post a link that'll drop you right onto their classical tape page with a Leroy Anderson tape right on the top (but if you wind yourself back to their home page, they have all kinds of audio goodies.

http://www.1stintunes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=199&cat=Classical
Thanks !
Fascinating links I didn't know existed. Didn't see any actual tiny reels available however.
Reels are probably worth more than the little recorders are without them. I seem to remember colored leader tape being packaged on the tiny reels at one point. Perhaps a Radio Shack item from long ago. Yes,  they were available from all the electronics houses in the late 60s- sometime in the 70s.
BTW, I have that Leroy Anderson on vinyl and R2R !
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
These are spy recorders. Or lecture recorders. Kinda like the mini cassette recorders that came later. Are the mini reel plastic or metal?
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1