Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: miniature reels smaller than 3"  (Read 4715 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
miniature reels smaller than 3"
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
Does anybody have any idea where I can find reels with or without tape smaller than 3"?
I have a collection of small "pocket" recorders and a couple will not  take even the more or less standard 3" or 3 1/4" or 3 1/2" size.
IIRC there were 2 3/8", 2 1/2", 2 3/4", and possibly some other sizes that were pretty small as well. I'm not even sure if any of the sizes I mentioned were ever really "standard". I think the one recorder uses 2 1/2". They mate with standard turntable spindles but the hubs are small enough I don't think I could "turn down" the outer flange on a 3" and make it work. Perhaps, if it did not have holes very near the edge and a really small inner hub...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: miniature reels smaller than 3"
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:06:12 AM »
Hi Steve,

I'd give some of the places like "Phantoms Reel to Reel Museum" a try. Too bad places like Olsons or Lafayette Electronics aren't still around. They used to carry that sort of thing.
In the meantime, here's a site that has some of those little guys.

http://www.dustygizmos.com/arcpages/arctape.htm

Also, check with D'Antiques,.. I'll post a link that'll drop you right onto their classical tape page with a Leroy Anderson tape right on the top (but if you wind yourself back to their home page, they have all kinds of audio goodies.

http://www.1stintunes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=199&cat=Classical
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
Hi Steve,

I'd give some of the places like "Phantoms Reel to Reel Museum" a try. Too bad places like Olsons or Lafayette Electronics aren't still around. They used to carry that sort of thing.
In the meantime, here's a site that has some of those little guys.

http://www.dustygizmos.com/arcpages/arctape.htm

Also, check with D'Antiques,.. I'll post a link that'll drop you right onto their classical tape page with a Leroy Anderson tape right on the top (but if you wind yourself back to their home page, they have all kinds of audio goodies.

http://www.1stintunes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=199&cat=Classical
Thanks !
Fascinating links I didn't know existed. Didn't see any actual tiny reels available however.
Reels are probably worth more than the little recorders are without them. I seem to remember colored leader tape being packaged on the tiny reels at one point. Perhaps a Radio Shack item from long ago. Yes,  they were available from all the electronics houses in the late 60s- sometime in the 70s.
BTW, I have that Leroy Anderson on vinyl and R2R !
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »
These are spy recorders. Or lecture recorders. Kinda like the mini cassette recorders that came later. Are the mini reel plastic or metal?
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1