TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Ampex 456 Studio Mastering Tape  (Read 15484 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Ampex 456 Studio Mastering Tape
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:28:04 AM »
My friends,

I have several new rolls of this tape purchased about 10 years ago. I am now trying to decide whether to use it for recording. Can I get some information about this tape? Thanks everyone.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ampex 456 Studio Mastering Tape
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
Bob,

I don't recommend that you use 456 for any new recording. It is the worst of the bunch in terms of developing Sticky Shed Syndrome. My extensive experience baking tapes for people who find that they have committed their music to this tape indicates that the problem was never fixed. In other words it affects 456 from all eras right up to the last production runs. Why would you record something to it when the likelihood is so high that the tape will develop problems?
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Ampex 456 Studio Mastering Tape
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »
Dear Paul,

Thanks for this response and advice. I will get rid of the tape and use the metal reel for other tape or for takeup service.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.