TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Beatles r-r tapes  (Read 6685 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Beatles r-r tapes
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »
I don't think I've ever shared this link with the members here.
It's one of those sites that I stumbled across while looking for something else so I haven't got a clue as to it's accuracy or the current validity of the prices that are shown.
But, it you just wanta know the "whats and whens" of The Beatles on reel to reel, this is a nice resource.

BTW, the prices are on the high side IMHO (maybe not for minty tapes). For instance, on any given week, you should be able to find a few copies of Abby Road and probably "win" one for less than $50.

http://www.rarebeatles.com/reel/reel.htm
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
Re: Beatles r-r tapes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:54:39 AM »
thanks, Steve, how do you like the tapes compared to any other format for Beatles recordings?
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline Jayeltex

• I'm afraid I've become a tape junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Hi Steve

This is a great lead, thank you... I immediately tried to order on-line but there doesn't seem to be a trigger to
order anything. Any suggestions... did you try and order anything ?

Let me know.

Thanks
jay

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:48 PM »
Hey guys,

I've never tried to order anything from the site. I wouldn't doubt it if the ordering functions are obsolete since many of those kinds of places just sell on eBay now.
I've bid on a few Beatles tapes in the past but the only one I've won was a pretty "worked" Abby Road (IIRC, I paid about $26 for it). For the most part, I like my Mobile Fidelity vinyl better.

I'm sure other members here have picked up some of the other tapes (in better shape than mine). I'd be interested in opinions of the 7.5ips "White Album" which I've bid on a few times.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »
I _did_ own Magical Mystery Tour on Capitol  3 3/4 beige reel from new back in the day, but it somehow got away in the early 90s.
IIRC it was nothing special sonically.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Gbuckphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:26 PM »
This is an old topic but, with the flurry of bids lately on EBay for Beatles tapes, I thought I would re-open the topic.  I purchased 3 Beatles tapes recently at an antique store.  2nd Album/Rubber Soul(3 3/4), Let It Be(7.5)and Hey Jude(7.5). Bought all for about $100. I have seen a Sgt. Peppers recently go for $188. Anyway, I did an a/b test of my best vinyl version of Rubber Soul vs the tape.  I liked the tape better. Smoother and more detailed at the same time.  This is the original 66' version.  My other 2 sound great at 7.5.  Anyone else have any experience with or have comments on Beatles tape sound quality and or prices?
Revox A77, Pioneer 1020L, Van Alstine Pas 5, Parasound HCA1500, Rega P3, Clearaudio Virtuoso, Richard Grey Power Company, PSB Goldi.