Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Tape at the NY Audio and AV show - this weekend (Apr 13-15)  (Read 7628 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Tape at the NY Audio and AV show - this weekend (Apr 13-15)
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:27:31 AM »
Hi All,

Will be spinning tapes in the Robyatt Audio Room (1524) - Waldorf Hotel, 301 Park Ave.

Including two TP sampler tapes graciously supplied by Paul S.  Please stop by.

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape at the NY Audio and AV show - this weekend (Apr 13-15)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:58:10 AM »
Very cool Charles. Be sure and take some pic's and post them.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
SWEET Charles! I'll be there!
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »

Hello all,

I've been away for a while and have relocated to Georgia, near Atlanta from Baltimore Maryland.  Does anyone know of any audio events happening in Georgia now or in the near future? Are there any Tape-O-Philes located near Newnan Georgia? By the way, I sold off all of the tape recorders I had but retained the Tascam 32-2B. It's great to be back. I've missed everyone.

bob
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:54:38 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Well I was there and saw Charles. But did not hear the TP tapes. Anyone in the New Jersey area?
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
read and scroll down a bit
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
http://www.stereophile.com/frontpage?page=8

"sing - sing - sing" was a Benny Goodman dub courtesy of Rich Brown

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
Looking good Charles!
IIRC, Xavier is doing some experimenting with Quads. I know that you've been using them (with a center channel) for a while now.
If I ever make it out to the "right" coast again, I'll come knockin' at your door.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
I had always been intrigued by Quads but bringing a pair down here was very expensive. Until I found a pair local that works perfectly. I tried lots of amps without success. At some point I decided to just use them for the mids a la Levinson with his Quad Hartley Decca system. This was another lucky thing since the idea put some Ionovacs in my hands which are now in the horns system and are the best tweeters ever! At some point I was about to give up but they did some things so nicely that I kept trying. So I said, SETs don't work with Quads but I really don't like push pull amps (no flames please, it's just my liking!). How about a pp amp that is as close as possible to SETs? A triode, pp, class A and without feedback. So another quest started 'till I got an EAR 861 that has such characteristics. And the magic started. The combination is spectacular. No, they don't do the big things that my tetra amped horns system do but the sound is magical. A friend brought one day his Tonshwnend supertweeters and they do nice things with the Quads. The plasticky highs get better and the bass (yes, the bass) gets tighter and cleaner.

Now I need a second room for the Quads/EAR system. I've been tempted to bring them to the office but haven't got the guts to do so. Maybe a bedroom system. Design extraordinaire Paul Joppa on one room and Tim de Paravicini on the other. I already have a TdP Technics so....

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Oh, and I have an Ironbut Dolby decoder in each system so maybe Steve Koto is there with PJ and TdP.
Xavier Cortes

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
OK since reading the Stereophile page I see tapes were played. I wish I could have heard them.

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »
Easy to miss. The tapes were played sparingly :( Know I never got to hear my Opus 3 sampler tape on the system :(
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables