TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Otari BTR-5 - Operating Manual  (Read 8396 times)

Offline rudi

• View Profile
Otari BTR-5 - Operating Manual
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Hi friends,

i am looking for an operating manual for my Otari BTR-5.  Can you help me ?

Many thanks from Austria/Europe

Rudy

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari BTR-5 - Operating Manual
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
Hi Rudy,

There was a similar post a while back and can be found here;

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php?topic=2156.0

BTW, "Search" is your friend.

I would try sending the original poster a PM and see what he ended up finding.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
Hi Ironbut,

thank you for your answer. I visited this board, but i cannot find what i am looking for.

During the meantime the BTR-5 makes troubles with the synchronized run.  I think the reason is the left lever feel bound (i hope this is the correct word or you understand what i mean). Sometimes it vibrates hard, sometimes it is very fixed.

Do you know somebody who can help me ?

Thanks and best wishes

Rudy

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »
Hey Rudy,

It sounds like you're saying that the left "tensioner" isn't moving up and down freely. If it feels like it is sticking or just isn't moving smoothly it could be that the grease that lubricates the arm is hardened or close to it.
This is a pretty common problem with many different machines.
Sometimes it will get better with use but it's best to disassemble it, clean and lubricate it.
I'm not personally familiar with this machine but I think that there are enough users of related Otari's (ones with similar tensioners) that should be able to advise you on the best way to do this.
To find these folks (if no one here suggests something soon) you would do well to join the Otari Yahoo group. You can pose your question there and you may have better luck finding a source of a manual.
 You will need to register there.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/otari_equipment/

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
Hi ironbut,

thank you for your "translation". Yes, you describe the problem exact.
To lubricate the tensioner, i have to open the machine. I am a little bit afraid of this work. Maybe i cannot assemble it after my "repair". But i will try it.  And  i will also look at the Otari yahoo group.

Anyway, many many thanks for your answer and your help !

Best wishes from

Rudy / Austria-Europe

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
Rudy,

Tensioners are sometimes simply spring loaded and other times, there may be bellows (air pressure). I wouldn't try to disassemble bellows unless it's obvious how they're put together. Since they operate on air pressure, breaking the seal would not be good.
On the other hand, the problem is usually at the pivot of the arm (which in your case has a roller/tape guide on the end). That's what needs to be cleaned and lubricated. The bellows or spring "dampens" the movement of the tensioner.
Sometimes a temporary fix can be done by opening the back, locating the pivot, and squirting a tiny, tiny bit of WD40 or other lubricant and working the tensioner up and down several times. The drawback with doing this kind of thing is that the dried grease will get loose and might just make the pivot stick in another spot.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »
Hi Ironbut,

i will open the Otari with a friend of mine to repair the tensioner. My friend is an electrician, but he has not ever seen such a machine.   I think the tensioner is spring loaded.

By the way: Now it works since some days without problems.

Many thanks again that you take such a great care of me and for your help.

Rudy

Offline hafrse

• Hani George Freiwat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:12 AM »
Hello,

Looking also for the operation manual,  I have some issues I need to know about regarding the pitch control on how to change the value, also, on how to reset the counter.
Many thanks in advance!

George
Hani George Freiwat