TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Great Recording Industry Book  (Read 2848 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Great Recording Industry Book
« on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »
"From Downbeat To Vinyl" subtitled, "Bill Putnam, his legacy to recording" has been on my nightstand for a month or so.
I was hoping to finish it before I sang it's praises but I just have so many projects going on right now that I'm lucky to have gotten half way through it.
The story of Putnam and United Recording is told by two of his long time employees, Bob Bushnell and Jerry Ferree, both of whom were hired on in the mid 50's.
It's a really great read written more like a running conversation between the two with gobs of great insight into the early days of recording and plenty of war stories thrown in to keep things interesting. There's also enough technical stuff to keep the geek in me drooling.
I'm sure that most of the members here know that Putnam designed the "room" at 1430 Mission and I feel privileged to have been given the "tour".
I had intended to drop off my copy there for the guys and gals to do with as they wish, but I'm not sure the rather poorly bound copy I have will survive (2 pages have already fallen out).
Luckily, the admission is cheap ($13) so it won't keep you from getting that titanium take up reel or shinny new plug-in.
Check it out. If you buy it in the next couple of weeks, you'll probably beat me to the finish.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Downbeat-Vinyl-Recording-Industry/dp/1589098307
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades