Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: A stupid question I guess, but...  (Read 6229 times)

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
A stupid question I guess, but...
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
Hi all. I took the plunge recently and ordered a short MRL tape to align my ReVox B-77. It had lost much of it's sonic luster lately, and I wanted to verify all was OK. Aligning the playback head (physically) revealed no major problems. However, I was very surprised and shocked to discover that the record head was off quite a bit in terms of physical alignment. What I did was this-I put together a test tone CD to feed the machine 12k, 16k and 20kHz signals-I used this since I do not have a frequency generator at my disposal. Anyway, turning the azimuth screw of the record head slightly clockwise, I discovered that the VU meters literally took off! I played the 20kHz tone repeatedly (at -10 or so) until I found I could do no better in terms of signal strength, and checked record vs. play results each time. Last night, I recorded some big band music at a local dance on the lake, and the tape sounded fine this morning. What a relief! My question is, does any one know what to use to hold the physical alignment in place at the set screws for the heads themselves? I have what appears to be (broken) LocTite on the screws now. It is red in color. I believe that simply transporting my machine to and from rehearsal each week over a 2 1/2 year period is responsible for the physical alignment being thrown out of whack. I want to lock these down good so this does not happen again. When I did the last machine alignment at ATR Services in 2005, LocTite was not used to hold the heads in place. Nothing was. I learned my lesson! Anyone know which specific LocTite I should use, and where I can get it? Thanks in advance.
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline ppeterso2

• View Profile
Re: A stupid question I guess, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 05:38:57 PM »
I learned a long time ago that clear nail polish will "lock" those heads in place.  You can borrow it from that special lady (just don't tell her what you're going to do with it....

Pete