Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Seduction - Eros Tape Head Pre Amplifier Experience  (Read 3313 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Seduction - Eros Tape Head Pre Amplifier Experience
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:50:08 AM »
Good morning all,

By now at least some of you know I am looking for a good quiet and gently used tape head pre amp. I would love to know the electrical and quality difference between these two pre amps? Is one much better than the other? Which is the more quiet and has less hum?

For those who don't know, I have a Tascam 32-2B that is IEC/NAB switchable and is in excellent condition. It also runs at high speed which matches the "Tape Project" standards. However, I can't find any information in my comprehensive owners manual regarding the electrical signal output of the playback tape head. I may be mistaken but it seems this would be very important in making a determination whether to purchase the Seduction or Eros pre amp, or am I wrong? Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance forum members.

bob williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Seduction - Eros Tape Head Pre Amplifier Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:12 AM »
The Seduction has about 40dB of gain. The Eros has about 50dB of gain. Get the Eros, as many tape heads have marginal output through the Seduction. Suffice it to say that I have never come across a playback head that had too much output ;)
Eros sounds better too.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Seduction - Eros Tape Head Pre Amplifier Experience
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
Good morning and thank you DocB. I appreciate this response. And yes, the signal from a tape head is minute at best and need al of the help it can to provide the glorious sounds reel to reel tape is capable of. From this point on I will be looking for the Eros. However, both the Eros and Seduction are beautiful pieces.

bob w
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.