TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: 5050 head block  (Read 3832 times)

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
5050 head block
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
Can a 2 trk head block from a 91 Mk IV-2 be interchanged with a 88 Mk III-2 with a 2/4 trk head block? And if so will the machine need to be recalibrated.Is this a difficult proceedure?
Thank You
Jim

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 5050 head block
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
Hi Jim,

I seriously doubt that there were any changes in the heads between those models but there could have been changes in the headblock mounting or pin assignments.
I'd check with Aheadtek who provides parts etc for Otari US. Just find out if the block assembly is the same part number.
Most new or reworked headblocks will come with the heads adjusted optically but I've found that you still need to do final tweaks once they're on the machine. They should be in the ballpark but it's assumed that once it's installed, alignment will be checked.
If you've never done head alignment, MRL tapes can provide the alignment tapes and has thorough instructions on how to use them (you'll need a scope).

http://aheadtek.com/contact.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades