TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tascam 42B Spooling Option For Tape Storage  (Read 4753 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Tascam 42B Spooling Option For Tape Storage
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
Good morning everyone,

If UPS delivers it in one piece, I should get my new/old Tascam 42D tape deck next week. One of the primary reasons I purchased this deck is its ability to spool tapes in the re-wind and fast-forward modes. I've heard different suggestions regarding tape storage after play. Is the preferred tape storage playing the tape through then leaving it on the take-up reel with tail out? Or, can I rewind the tape using the spooling mode? Normally, the spooling mode leaves the tape packed well but not tight as would be the case with fast re-wind. If the tape is left on the re-wind reel using the spooling mode would there be a problem with print-through?  Thanks for all suggestions and responses.

bob w.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:01:37 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Tascam 42B Spooling Option For Tape Storage
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
For single direction (2-track stereo) tapes mine are all tails out from there boxes. Even my old 7" Everest, Bel Canto and such, I've wound to a takeup reel then wound onto another reel then played back onto it's original reel, so they are stored tails out. Then, just rewind and play.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:14:31 PM »
Thank you "Listens2Tubes. That (tails out) being the case what was the purpose of "Library Wind/Spooling"?

bob w.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »
Thank you "Listens2Tubes. That (tails out) being the case what was the purpose of "Library Wind/Spooling"?

bob w.

I think there are other threads on here that might have a better explanation, but the purpose of the two is different.
Tails out has to do with print-through on 2 track tapes (or any tape that has tracks recorded in one direction only). It theoretically makes any transfer of audio between layers of tape occur after the main sound as a light post echo rather than a "pre-echo" so it should be masked by the main sound.
The library wind is for getting a smooth, even, tight tape pack to protect the tape mechanically from curling at the edges from uneven winding at fast speeds. It also is for more delicate tape handling without having to go through the whole reel at a normal playback speed. If you wind your tapes tails out and rewind normally to the reel you will be playing from, on a reasonably well adjusted machine,  then play at normal speed back onto  the storage reel  you would not need the library wind slow spooling speed. I guess if you wanted to be extra careful with an old fragile acetate tape you might use the slower spooling to transfer to the reel you are going to play from.
 Tails out and  getting a tight uniform tape pack go hand in hand as good practice for studio master tapes, so that is where the concepts come from.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »
OK guys and thank you so much. My understanding of the need for "tails out and spooling" is clear now. It all certainly makes sense now. As I start collecting pre recorded tapes I will want to store them in the best possible way in order to preserve them. Thanks again and as always I appreciate your time and patience.

bob w.