TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: more alignment tapes shipping today  (Read 13999 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
more alignment tapes shipping today
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »
The guys are breaking in the new shipping computer by sending out another run of alignment tapes this afternoon.

Paul got an alignment fixture for the reel flanges machined and it is going to work this evening as he engraves the reels for TP-001 on our CNC mill. If all goes well, it looks like the first albums may be shipping in a couple of days. Man, I can almost taste that celebratory bottle of champagne...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
TP-001,.. sounds like victory
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
I'd like to thank you and " the guys " for all the hard work it's been to make this all happen. For myself, as a subscriber, it's been fascinating to see what goes into what's almost a new format release. Probably sounded a lot simpler way back when the idea first started to gel? And doing everything top drawer brings the gazillion details that can just beat down less committed individuals. I really appreciate the way that you've kept us informed too. Knowing the hurdles you guys have had to overcome makes me feel like I'm part of something that's dedicated to producing something important ( in the perspective of our hobby ) and of lasting value.
My hat's off to Doc, Paul, Michael, P.Joppa and Eileen for making this audiophile one happy camper!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
Re: more alignment tapes shipping today
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:49:47 PM »
OK.... get ready...
The first ever Tape Project release shipped today. It was serial number TP 002. It went to A guy named Doc B in Paulsbo Washington. He will be taking pictures of it when it gets there tomorrow and posting them on the site for all to see what the final package will look like. I am currently milling catalogue numbers into the reel flanges. Next step is the serial numbers. Then shipping for everyone else. At the very latest, Monday. At the very earliest, Saturday. The milling takes roughly 45 minutes per set, so it's really just a matter of man hours now.
By the way Paul's serial number is TP 001. I am TP 003. That's why 002 was the one that went to Dan.

Align those decks folks...here they come...
Michael
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »
Hmm, maybe this Tape Project thing isn't for me after all. I've been looking into body building and perhaps a career in pro wrestling latter on. Somehow, having to use long handled spoons and forks (because of my enormous biceps of course) really appeals to me. Oh well, I suppose I'll accept delivery of the first 10 tapes and see if I can figure out a way to integrate them into an act. So if you see a totally buffed Asian wrestler with Jacqui Naylor singing "Black Coffee" blasting in the background ( with remarkable fidelity despite the cheers of adoration ) you can point and say " I knew him when he was a nobody".
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
The milling takes roughly 45 minutes per set, so it's really just a matter of man hours now.

Recording each album takes about 45 minutes, printing the cover art takes about 20 minutes, reels have to be assembled by hand, boxes have to be labeled, then there's packaging everything up and cross checking the serial number for each subscriber. There's quite a bit of time invested in an individual album.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »
OK.... get ready...
The first ever Tape Project release shipped today. .....

Align those decks folks...here they come...
Michael

YABA DABA DOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-cdw
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
Probably because english is not my mother tongue but I'm not getting it. You're shipping the 10 albums altogether?
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:52:42 PM »
You're shipping the 10 albums altogether?

I think the confusion is from the fact that Romo was so excited that he said they shipped TP 002 to me when he meant to say say they shipped SN 002 - Serial Number 002, of title TP 001 The Number White.

The first tapes to ship to subscribers will be TP 001. Everyone who chose that title should see it sometime in the next week or so. Then we will finish up, pack and ship TP 002 to everyone, and so on.

My tape just arrived. I'm charging my strobe power supplies as I type this, and hope to have images up in a few hours.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
cool,

thanks

ps not that it really matters becasue i will be picking my tapes on christmas. by then there will be lots of posts around bout how good they sound!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
So the tapes will be released in the order that they appear in the catalog?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 06:28:35 PM »
Yep, that's our plan. Unless something comes up to make us change our minds, we're going to start shipping TP 001, then when we've shipped that to all current subscribers we're going to start shipping TP 002. And so on, until the current subscribers have received TP 010. Then we're going to look at single album orders.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject