TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: New Tapes From International Phonographic Inc.  (Read 11124 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
New Tapes From International Phonographic Inc.
« on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:20 PM »
Hello all,

I just got 2 pre recorded tapes from Jonathan Horwich of International Phonograph Inc. yesterday. I decided to surprise myself and wait to open the package. It reminded me of being a small boy on Christmas eve and trying to stay awake for Santa Claus. I finally opened the box this morning and was surprised by the way the tapes were housed. These were substantial plastic cases with all the information about the musicians and music on the outside. The tapes come "tails out" which is good. I ran these tapes on my Tascam 32-2B because it is switchable between IEC/NAB and that's good. There are actually 3 tapes available. They are: Warne Marsh At The Icehouse, Clare Fischer, Extension, and Henrik Wallin, 4th Balcony Jump. Since I was familiar with Warne Marsh and Clare Fischer, I decided to order those 2 tapes. There is about 30 minutes worth of music on each tape. Each tape included info about who is playing and each tune.

The first tape I played was one by Warne Marsh, At The Ice House. He is Lee Konitz on tenor sax. This is exciting music played by and excellent quintet. The other tape features The Clare Fischer orchestra. Again, this is exciting music beautifully played. The sound on both tapes  wonderful and well recorded. At $150 dollars each I was surprised at how well packaged they were and the high quality of the music. I am more than happy I moved on these tapes.

bob w.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:59:45 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: New Tapes From International Phonographic Inc.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
Great description and story. I'll check out the offerings and maybe have a birthday present to open. I can only hope. :-)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Good evening Listens2Tubes,

Great to hear from you. You deserve a musical birthday present and I am sure those close to you will agree. So, go ahead and treat yourself. Besides, I am anxious to hear what you think about the music and recordings. Go for it good guy!

bob w.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline michael22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »
format?
Ampex A-121 + Ampex 621 Amplifier/Speakers

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
He indicated they came "tails out", meaning 2 track stereo.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »
Thanks Listens2Tubes and yes Michael22 the tapes from International Phonographic Inc are 2 track. I am sorry I miss that point and it's important. Thanks for asking the question.

bob w.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:02 AM »
Can you provide a link to the tapes. I checked out the site but found no meantion of the tapes.

Thanks.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
Good morning all,

Here is the rest of the story. The gentleman who will be glad to speak with you regarding these tapes is Jonathan Horwich. So far as I know there are 3 tapes available. I only purchased the two I talk about above. Mr. Horwich's telephone numbers are, (Office) 773-373-3349 (Cell) 773-892-6470. He appears to be a great guy who really loves jazz and apparently has many master tapes. Check him out, and, if he is not available, leave a message as I did initially and he will get back to you.

bob w.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:43:48 AM by rbwtapeinterlink »

Offline jonathanhorwich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:07:00 AM »
If anyone wishes to get a hold of me at International Phonograph Inc., I can be reached at [email protected]   I am also now a member of this site as of today.  I own several of the Tape Project tapes, which are excellent, and in my studio I use the Mike Spitz Aria ATR 102 playback machine, and a Studer A820 King/Cello playback/recorder, as well as two Nagra IVs' and a Studer 810. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:07:35 PM by jonathanhorwich »

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
Hello Jonathan and welcome to the forum.

Offline michael22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
speed? equalization? reel size?

i take nothing for granted. barclay-crocker actually released uni-directional tapes in the 4-track 7-1/2 ips dolby B format.
Ampex A-121 + Ampex 621 Amplifier/Speakers

Offline jonathanhorwich

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
Just saw your question regarding format, etc.  The master tape copies I produce are 1/4 inch, two track (one-sided) stereo, CCIR (IEC), 10.5 inch reels, 15ips. 

As a note, yesterday I recorded a Chicago jazz trio directly to an MCI 16 track analog recorder and will be putting this, and another new recording I did a few months back, out on tape.  I am working to make natural sounding multi track recording which retain the you-are-there-in-the-room sound without being homogenized and disembodies by reverb and other mixing practices. I am using the tape format to pilot this technique and once I have these ready to go, will get customer feedback.  By this I mean, this music will only come out on master tape copies as I am recording specifically with final analog tape production specifically in mind.  No CDs or other format.  In other words I hope to record for the analog tape medium only. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:53:34 PM by jonathanhorwich »

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
This is very exciting to read. How many tapes are your currently offering?

Offline jonathanhorwich

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »
I have three tapes officially out.  Best to email me at [email protected] for questions and descriptions of product.  Thank you for your understanding.