TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: 10.5 inch Plastic Reels & Happy Fathers Day DADS  (Read 4535 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
10.5 inch Plastic Reels & Happy Fathers Day DADS
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
Good evening all,

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get at least 10 plastic reels. I want to transfer some of my blank tapes in order to get a few metal reels colored. Please contact me with some good news. I do hope they are available. I just don't know where to find them. Thanks all and Happy Fathers Day to all DADS.

bob w.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 10.5 inch Plastic Reels & Happy Fathers Day DADS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:54:32 PM »
Happy Father's day to you Bob!

I've seen a few places that still have them but I don't know about their quality.
RMGI still makes them and here's a place that should have them in stock.

http://www.tapes.com/rmg-10-12-x-14-empty-plastic-reel-small-hub-p-7715.html

Send them an email inquiring about quantity discounts,.. it can't hurt to try.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:15:38 AM »
  Got some from Splicit a while back, but looks like they are currently out of stock:

http://www.splicit.com/plastic_tape_reels.html

Never had any luck with used ones from eBay...all too warped, but I suspect many of them were warped to start with.

As you mentioned having some of your metal reels colored, are you going to paint them or try re-anodizing them? According to a local plating shop, reels which are already anodized would have to be chemically stripped before the process could be repeated. The reel flanges are thin however, and cross-cutting one revealed the anodizing to be fairly deep into the aluminum.

If you have any success with this please let us know how it comes out.

Tom
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
Hello Steve and Tom,

I have ordered 10.5inch plastic reels from US Recording Co. What I plan to do is transfer old tape onto the plastic reels to be discarded. I just want to clear up some of my metal reels for new coloring. I am planning on getting a few red, gold and some black. I have found a place here in Georgia that does that kind of coloring. They color all kinds of metal, so, I want to see the quality of their work. Thanks guys for the suggestions. I always appreciate.

bob williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:47 PM »
Hey Bob,

If you're just planning on tossing the tape that's on the aluminum reels you don't really need an empty reel to put it.
Just take the reels apart and the tape will stay on the hub (the reels are just screwed together).
Once you just have the tape on the hub, you can usually just pull it off or if it's sticky tape, you can cut it with a razor knife and pull it off.

I bought 50 1/2" reels of old Ampex 456 a while back. It was so stuck together that even after I cut through an inch or so of tape, I still had to use vice grips to pull the tape off. Needless to say, it made disposing of it much easier since I could take one of those circles of tape and hit it against a wall as hard as I could and it hardly even dented it!

Of course, if the tape has something on it you might like to save, forget about all the stuff I just said. (The story about the 1/2" 456 is one of those tales that I seem to enjoy telling over and over again to whoever will listen.)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades