Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: A810 faults  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Editor

• View Profile
A810 faults
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:21 AM »
hi, everybody. I purchased the A810 machine recently and run into two problems:
1. in FF and Rewind modes transport suddenly comes to stop after 10 - 20 sec after one of < > keys was pressed and LED display reads 0188. It happens only when 1 mil tape on 10 inch reel is loaded. If the tape is 1,5 mil on 10" reel or 1 mil tape on 7" reel loaded FF & REW modes are OK.
2.  Lifter activates only in  FF & REW modes, but not in STOP mode so the tape contacts the heads. Ii it possible to solve the problems? I'll be very appreciate your help.
I went through SM twice but didn't find any useful information.
Regards, Nikolay
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:57:06 AM by Editor »
Studer A810, TASCAM BR-20D, Sony TC-766-2, Revox B77 HS 2 trk

Offline Editor

• View Profile
Re: A810 faults
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »
OK, I ask very simple question: how to program tape lifter able/disable functions? By jumpers, code switch or program keys?
Thank you 
Studer A810, TASCAM BR-20D, Sony TC-766-2, Revox B77 HS 2 trk

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
Nikolay:

Make sure your 1 mil tape is not sticky and leaving residue and your tape path is clean.  Excess friction from the SSS will stop the machine during FF or REW.

If it's not tape related, you need to adjust tape tensions.  It must start with Play, FF, and REW.  The manual is very good at explaining how to make the adjustments.

Studer Lifter is to keep the tape away from the heads during FF or REW only or when pushed manually.  If your adjustment is off, the tape may make contact with the heads too soon and you will hear the unwanted signal.   You can also configure the machine so that it will mute during FF or REW.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »
the 0188 display on your deck is the firmware version of the deck, normal for it to appear. Its only a problem when it doesn't go away or never shows up in the first place.

for specific information about the frimware version, check technical information on the A810 folder in the Studer website. (ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/A810)

Alan Garren