Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Eros or Seduction, What To Do?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Eros or Seduction, What To Do?
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Good evening all,

Here is my plight. I've decided to use my Tascam 32-2B tape deck for listening to pre-recorded tapes since it's already NAB/IEC switchable. I will just have to get the tech to add cables from the output tape head. Obviously, the Seduction would have to be modified to use as a tape pre-amp. How do I obtain info regarding the electrical output from my tape head? I have looked through my manual but can't seem to find that info. Or, on the other hand, it may be I don't know what I am looking for regarding specifications.

On a retiree's income I cannot afford the top-of-the-line tape head pre amp, so, my concern is, to be able to determine if the modified seduction will do what I need or will I require the higher output signal from the Eros which was actually designed as a tape head pre amp. I might add, I am using Peter Gunn modified Magnapan 1.6 speakers which require lots of power to sound their best. These speakers are fairly inefficient.  Mind you, it's not a problem now, but I wonder what impact that will have on which tape head pre amp I should be looking for?

I really don't like asking for assistance without being able to give you all the output specification figures for my tape playback heads. At any rate, point me in the right direction please. HELP............

bob williams
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 03:31:28 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Eros or Seduction, What To Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
http://www.tapeproject.com/machines/machines.htm This is recommended reading. :-)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
Hey Bob,

I think you'd be much happier with the Eros. The Seduction is really nice but when I used one, I really needed more gain.
I found that I really had to crank up the volume to get to my normal listening levels.

Regarding the specs for the repro head;

If you haven't checked the service manual, you can download one at;
http://www.hifiengine.com/library/tascam/32.shtml

I took a quick look and couldn't find the head spec's but it could be in there.
Another thing to try is to contact Tascam USA and inquire there. Sending JFR would be another good place to check.

http://jrfmagnetics.com/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Good Sunday Evening Listen2Tubes and Steve,

Guys I have the manuals for each of my tape decks but failed to see any specific info regarding tape head specifications. I even checked out the manuals for my most recently acquired deck, the Tascam 42B and what do you know? There was little to no useful info on the tape head electrical characteristics. Shame on the builders of these tape decks for not providing all of the information.

At any rate I want to thank you gentleman for doing your best to help me find my way. Steve, you have shared your personal experiences with the Seduction pre amp and had some difficulties reaching a level of sound you wanted. Although I don't know which of your tape decks (Sony or Otari) you have tied into your tape head pre amp but I would hazard a guess my tape heads would require the same level of input signal as does your decks.

That being said, it looks as if I will have to wait around for someone who is moving up to the latest and most sophisticated Bottlehead tape/tube pre amp and ready to put their Eros up for sale. I've been patient this long I can wait a while longer. Thanks again guys.

bob williams
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:40:26 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:17:13 AM »
Hey Bob,

I agree with the Eros. The Seduction is very good. The Eros is just another league.

You say you're buying a second hand one? Why not build it yourself?
Xavier Cortes

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:58 PM »
Hello to you Xcortes and great to hear from you. I am getting so much feedback that the Eros is the way to go, I've got to go in that direction. At 70 years old my eyes and patience are not what they were even 20 years ago. So, I am looking to score a used unit from someone who is moving up to the big leagues. I will see how it goes. I have been waiting for a while now but who knows, someone, even now, may be on the verge to putting their Eros on the market. Thanks much and great to hear from you.

bob williams