TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: New Elvis Recording?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
New Elvis Recording?
« on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
If you'll notice the "?" at the end of the subject header, it indicates the need for further research if this recording was ever available to the public in some media type.

Okay, so with the disclaimer out of the way;
Here's a video of the playing of a wire recording which was made from a television with a young Elvis with his trio during a live broadcast.

Not a fan of Elvis? Well, I can't say I'm a huge fan either but his impact on the popular music scene is undeniable. Sometimes when I watch a modern hip hop video I can't help but think of the old B&W clips of mothers covering their daughters eyes when Elvis swung those hips.
And the fans,.. my god! I've never known one who didn't possess every lp and most of the 45's that he ever made.

Well, even if you hate Elvis, it's certainly worth hearing the decent sound that's captured through this less than stellar recording chain.

BTW, watch the 7 min version which includes commentary.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/news/new_elvis_presley_recording_discovered.shtml

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: New Elvis Recording?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link. It's always fun when someone captures something off of a live "stream" to use that modern term, that might turn out to be the only actual capture. TV was more live than anything else back then. Ampex had not quite put video tape on the market. You could show actual movie film on TV or record film off of a TV monitor of a live broadcast, but this was not always done.
You are right about the quality. While certainly not Hi Fi in any sense, considering what could (and often did) go wrong between a live broadcast audio mix, TV reception in 1955,  probably recorded with the microphone  that came with the wire recorder off of the TV speaker, to a medium with no capstan speed regulation and a propensity for kinking, snarling and breaking. Then played back on an almost  60 year old machine and once again picked up acoustically off of the old machine's speaker for the video, then digitally compressed as a file to post it... Considering all that, it is about as good of a live Elvis as you might hear. There are certainly many many much worse sounding clips made by "professionals" in that era.
As the owner of much fine old junk (including a couple of wire recorders, one with a very similar mechanism) I can say it is rare to have a piece of consumer audio equipment of that era, operating that well without considerable restoration effort !
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:08:42 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...