Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Where does one buys tapes  (Read 3906 times)

Offline LCatGA

• View Profile
Where does one buys tapes
« on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
And what to look for. I'm looking to buy my first reel-to -reel machine and very intrested in source for tapes.
I gues e-bay is a place to begin.
What do I need to know about tapes.
I understannd what as a rule of the thumb faster speed =  better quality.
What else.
What other sources besides Tape project are availiable.

I like good acoustic/vocal stuff and some of classical, enjoy good pop and rock - most of the stuff I like are not audiophile quality to begin with but on proper equipment will sound quite good :)

Leon Rivkin

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Where does one buys tapes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
The best source I have found is Irvington Music near Portland. Their website is irvmusic.com. They normally have a couple hundred prerecorded tapes for sale, mostly classical, but some others. Their inventory is very large, and they rotate their offerings.   Almost all of them are 7.5 ips 4tr  They also feature some master dubs which are typically 15ips 2 track. They accept returns if the tape is defective.   If you get on their mailing list, then you get their new offerings earlier than they post on their website.

Two track is rare and expensive, but as a rule of thumb better than 4tr. I avoid the slow speed 3 3/4 ips. 

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub