TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Technics RS 1800 on Ebay  (Read 21740 times)

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Re: Technics RS 1800 on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:10:27 AM »
I'd be curious to find out if it did sell, and at what price.

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
That's crazy money for that deck though!!! If you're a Technics collector, I can see the value. Otherwise??? The transport is fundamentally the same, the electronics are still going to be bested by DocB, Tim de Paravicini, Manley, ATR and the like, and anything it provides above the 1500 is easily replicated by the upper end pro machines.

Not that it'd be easy to repeat but an acquaintance in Australia just picked up a 1/4" Studer A820 from a Sony Studios auction with a full Cello Audio electronics suite that was perfectly maintained and pristine. For $6k. I don't care how great this Technics is... it absolutely positively can't get anywhere near the tape handling finesse and electronics quality. Even if the Studer were double the price it'd be worth it... but for less? If one is going to spend that much... heck, hand the $$$ over to Paul and DocB and tell 'em you want the deck of all decks. You'll end up with better.

Incidentally the decks didn't sell. A friend is talking to them but they're firm on the price. I told him for that much I'd have one of the 820s I have refurbed, sell it to him and still make $3k.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »
Actually that machine sold. He didn't quite get his asking price, but you still could have bought the Studer and made a down payment on one of our Repro amps for the price. Collectors are on another plane. You have to be able to convince yourself that rarity and status outweigh performance and practicality. I just can't do that.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:42:23 PM »
Not that it'd be easy to repeat but an acquaintance in Australia just picked up a 1/4" Studer A820 from a Sony Studios auction with a full Cello Audio electronics suite that was perfectly maintained and pristine. For $6k. I don't care how great this Technics is... it absolutely positively can't get anywhere near the tape handling finesse and electronics quality. Even if the Studer were double the price it'd be worth it... but for less? If one is going to spend that much... heck, hand the $$$ over to Paul and DocB and tell 'em you want the deck of all decks. You'll end up with better.
I lusted over getting one of those audio Palette's that Cello made but just those alone were going for $5k+.  Sounds like your pal got a great deal. What do you suppose the shipping from Sony's NY studios is to Australia?
Did you guys see that minty looking A80 that was a pick-up only last week. $2K and nobody bit.
Actually, the more I fool around with my 1500, the more I have to admire the build and design of the thing. I had the capstan motor and jog roller out the other day and I can't imagine how much it would cost today.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »
My biggest problem with the Technics is the tape handling. It's not exactly the last word in delicacy. Also, when it rains it pours! I went on Ebay to see if I could pick up a get-me-by deck and ran across this PR99 that I hope isn't total junk. I figure if it is I can hopefully part the thing out. Then, naturally AFTER I pull that trigger I find a Craigslist ad that was run back in October for two Otari MX5050BIIs in decent shape. The guy still had 'em! $450 for both + a RB Annis Han-D-Mag, the MRL tape, blank RMGI tapes, whatever those chemicals are... heck I figure I can sell ONE deck for $300. Bonus: A buddy is driving down from Austin tonight. So I'll have the decks at about 8 PM. :D
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline DRCope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:28:24 PM »
Beefman,

I like the portable and tubey aspects of the stellavox, but the pricey part . . . . not so much.

How did the Otari binge turn out?

I've had a second live outing with the Otari. This time it was two choirs combined - 120+ voices, 19 pc orchestra, organ performing Haydn's Lord Nelson Mass in a large church with cathedral-ish acoustics. Yummy, juicy sound. Analog ever upward!

Doc - Are you and your wonder machines going to be at CES? I'll be at THE Show up the road with Audio Note and have pre-reg'd for CES as well, mostly in hopes of hearing your tape wonderfulness . . . .

Dave
Moving from hifi show exhibitor to producing new, analog recordings of small classical, jazz, blues, folk/roots music.

The gear just got bigger and heavier. Who knew?!

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
We'll be in TAD/Pioneer, Magico and FIM rooms at the Venetian and also at On a Higher Note's hospitality suite in the Mirage. I am bringing a pile of Tube Repro amps we are just putting the final screws on, and we will have two RS1500s (one a trick red one by Jeff Jacobs), a Studer A80 and an Ampex ATR 102. We will bring demo tapes with some stuff no one has heard yet.

Assuming I make it through or around the blizzard in the Sikiyous and get to Vegas this will be a pretty cool party. Leaving at oh dark thirty tomorrow morning in a rented 4WD and keeping my fingers crossed.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:21:46 PM »

I've had a second live outing with the Otari. This time it was two choirs combined - 120+ voices, 19 pc orchestra, organ performing Haydn's Lord Nelson Mass in a large church with cathedral-ish acoustics. Yummy, juicy sound. Analog ever upward!

Wow! What kind of mic set up did you use? I seem to recall that you are using Gefells. What kind of mic-pre are you using? That must've been some big fun though. There's just nothing like the sound of a live chorus with an orch.( and an organ ta boot!)

Doc, if I may make a little suggestion,.. get the other rooms up and running before you go the hospitality suite. At RMAF I got shanghaied into one after hours. I don't really remember how I got back to my room! ( I do have both of my kidneys though)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline DRCope

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »
Wow! What kind of mic set up did you use? I seem to recall that you are using Gefells. What kind of mic-pre are you using? That must've been some big fun though. There's just nothing like the sound of a live chorus with an orch.( and an organ ta boot!)

The mics (Gefell 930's) were set up ORTF using Audio Note SPx silver interconnect cable to the pre-amp, a Pendulum MDP-1 (http://mercenaryaudio.com/mdvactubmicd.html.) The mics were about 8-9ft up in the air with the Pendulum sitting on a stand at its base in the center aisle of the church, about 1/4 of the way back, then Mogami Gold cables all the way to the left aisle so no one would have to listen to the whirring big reels. Since I was in the choir, I had to run the tape at 7.5 ips so as to get the full concert on one reel. I got the college recording tech to hit the GO button, but I don't think he ever saw a reel-to-reel machine before, so I wasn't going to ask him to change reels on the fly!

Here's the scene of the crime:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/2169912654_f5fb3275e8_b.jpg

I lowered the mics take the shot. They're just shy of waist high behind the director.
Moving from hifi show exhibitor to producing new, analog recordings of small classical, jazz, blues, folk/roots music.

The gear just got bigger and heavier. Who knew?!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »
Very cool Dave. Thanks for sharing.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline slbender

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:26:48 AM »
I gotta admit that RS-1800 is a darn nice machine, never seen one except in pictures. Still, Akai made an almost the same set, two pieces, but speeds of 15/7.5/3.75 with a dual capstans belt driven by a servocontrolled motor. The PRO-1000. Maybe its 2nd best to that rare RS-1800, but again except for lacking the 30 ips its very similar, and people actually own them...

Was that seller the girl in that picture ???

Steven L. Bender

Actually that machine sold. He didn't quite get his asking price, but you still could have bought the Studer and made a down payment on one of our Repro amps for the price. Collectors are on another plane. You have to be able to convince yourself that rarity and status outweigh performance and practicality. I just can't do that.