Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Quantegy 406 Reel to Reel Tape  (Read 8940 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Quantegy 406 Reel to Reel Tape
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:54:29 AM »
Good morning all,

A dear friend of mine has come into a load of Quantegy 406 tape and wants to provide several to me. When I see the name Ampex attached to it during my internet research I am worried. Before I use it, I thought it best to come here to see what other's opinion is of this tape and whether it might be burdened with the dreaded SS problem? Thanks much for all thoughts and experience.

bob
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Quantegy 406 Reel to Reel Tape
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
Hey Bob,

There is a chart with many of the tapes that are know to suffer from sticky shed syndrome in the Beginners Guide on reply #24.
Unfortunately, 406 seems to be the beginning of that problem for Ampex (at least in the chart).
So, unless the tape have been stored very well, it will probably be obvious.
If you friend got a great deal, it's probably worth it just for the reels.

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,595.15.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:12:53 PM »
My friend Steve,

I went right to the link full of information. It certainly covers what I wanted to know and much more. I am more than appreciative and many thanks sir.

bob williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline USR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 08:17:47 AM »
If you trash the tape at least keep the reels!