Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: the grateful dead has many wonderful albums and tons of live performances.  (Read 10136 times)

Offline danielfrederick

• View Profile
The grateful Dead, They have a very large audiophile fan base.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:35:06 AM by danielfrederick »

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
I agree, however dicks picks may be the only collection with a chance of intentional recording technique.
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
well.... you could use the first reel for Truckin' - assuming you 7.5 ips instead of 15 ips. :)

I know that The Dead used Mac amps in concerts as they really cared about the quality of the sound. I bet that the studio masters would have had similar care taken for the sound quality.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
well.... you could use the first reel for Truckin' - assuming you 7.5 ips instead of 15 ips. :)

I know that The Dead used Mac amps in concerts as they really cared about the quality of the sound. I bet that the studio masters would have had similar care taken for the sound quality.

That's the problem.  Their best work was not done in the studio.  There are only 2 or 3 of their studio pieces I can listen to and I don't know if they would be worth a $300 tape.  Masters from some of the live shows though......A whole other story!  Thinking about a Summer of 85 Hersey Park second set that opens with Tom Thumbs Blues.  Face melting!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is an area where we would need some guidance from the fans. I'm not familiar enough withe the live oeuvre to pick 'em. They might be available to us (then again they may not) but we can't even start talking until we are focused on something.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
This is an area where we would need some guidance from the fans. I'm not familiar enough withe the live oeuvre to pick 'em. They might be available to us (then again they may not) but we can't even start talking until we are focused on something.

Because individual tastes are so different and there are litterally thousands of set lists to pick from I would suggest splitting the difference.  Narrow down fan selection to Band mastered and approved recordings. Dick's Picks is a series of live shows released by the band.  Direct from their soundboards to 2" tape and post "wheat chaff seperation" selection processes.  All sets are complete and uninterupted, so there is no "best of" feeling to them and you really get a good sense of being at a live show.  I had a couple of hundred cassetts during my years of following the band but, as a stereo junkie adult, Dick's consistantly provides a much better experience than anything passed around the community.

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dicks_Picks.htm

Peace,
Bhek