Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Chicago 2013 Axpona Show  (Read 10757 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Chicago 2013 Axpona Show
« on: November 12, 2012, 05:43:19 PM »
A heads up to all tapeheads (or interested audiophiles) who will be attending the Axpona Show scheduled for March 8-10, 2013 in Chicago.

I will be hosting two-one hour sessions dealing with the topic of reel-to-reel machines and tape on both Friday and Saturday afternoons. I've invited several people to participate on the panel but everyone here should feel free to make suggestions for speakers (or topics)! 

In addition, Greg Beron of United Home Audio will on Friday and Saturday evenings, be playing some extraordinary reel-to-reel tapes for anyone there who wants to drop by his room.

More details to come as they become available.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 05:43:42 AM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Chicago 2013 Axpona Show
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
Hmm, Myles you make a great case for going to Chicago in March. Any chance you will do the same in NYC this coming April?
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
Not at the moment.

Maybe things will change.

Myles
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:21:10 AM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Fingers crossed. :-)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
I'm one of the folks Myles has asked to participate (question his judgement , not mine!). Eileen and I just checked in with my brother about the availability of his getaway condo in Chicago and it's free that weekend, so we are starting to plan the trip. 

By the way, for those who are saying "yeah but what about tape?",  we will begin packaging and shipping Willy and the Poor Boys over the next few days. The kids are out of college and stepping in to help keep up with things over the holiday break.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:33:35 AM »
By the way, for those who are saying "yeah but what about tape?",  we will begin packaging and shipping Willy and the Poor Boys over the next few days. The kids are out of college and stepping in to help keep up with things over the holiday break.

Great! I look forward to hearing CCR on a TP tape.
Personally, I hope you guys take some time to enjoy some holiday cheer while the "kids" are home from college (of course, they aren't really kids anymore are they?). A few days won't make any difference to me.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
True dat. Colin is 21 and moving into his first apartment near UW this week after commuting from home the past quarter. Kate is 17 and a sophomore in college. She's headed to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in LA next fall, and kicking out mom and dad out of the house tonite so she can put on her annual Ugly Xmas Sweater party. Both kids made the dean's list this quarter. I am a very proud and lucky father.

Eileen has been shipping a large batch of catch up orders of earlier TP releases over the past couple of weeks. We just spent the week absolutely slamming to get a jillion Bottlehead orders out, and will be packing those CCR tapes after Xmas. Other good news is that I fixed my busted Nagra T (loose capstan motor clutches, out of adjustment cam position trimpot), so we will be able to groove to some tape while we are a'packin'.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
Hi Doc:

Been a little out of the loop the past few months-my day job has been keeping me busy (which I guess is good!) Just now heard about the Axpona show in March.

Not sure what my schedule is yet for early March, but look forward to attending.

FWI: I have a Nagra T-Audio in our shop at the moment, which I would be happy to bring along if you are planning to do any demos at the show. Ping me off-list if you are interested.

Based on the current exhibitor lineup, it looks like an interesting show!

--S
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
Make sure to check out the R2R seminars if you're attending Chicago Axpona in a couple of weeks! Plus Greg Beron and Jonathan Horwich will be hosting some very special, after hours listening sessions with some very special recordings (I'm sure there will be some Beatles and great Jazz!) in their suites for anyone who would like to hear some magical reel-to-reel tape!

http://www.axpona.com/Section_Home.asp?SID=1049
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:40:28 PM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
Sounds awesome Myles!
Wish I could make it. One of my favorite cities for sure!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:39:24 AM »
Thanks so much to Myles for hosting the talks and thanks to everyone who stopped by to say hi. It was great to face to face with so many that I had only known by web or phone and equally great to run into old friends. Everyone was so kind and complementary that I had a little trouble getting my inflated head in the elevator on the way out. Jon Ver Halen's brand spanking new Lowther OBs were sounding very sweet, as was the TAD/Lamm setup with Jonathan Horwich's tapes playing (TAD R1 = one of Doc's absolute all time fave speakers), and of course Greg Beron's decks were stealing the show in two or three rooms. One thing I regret missing was hearing Charlie King's Stella/Cello in the Audio Note room - another very sweet sounding room, BTW. Always a treat to walk into a room rolling tape after being assaulted by the rooms playing utz music at psychological warfare levels. Steve and Bes did a superb job of putting together a very successful first show.

Eileen and I love Shi-kae-go, and we will be back as often as life allows. What could possibly be better than a town where half of the population talks like Elwood Blues? On our way home today to start getting our new duping and packaging setups running.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
From the tape forum at Axpona 2013!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEfE09A7Wo

Thanks to Peter Breuninger of AVShowrooms!

Myles B. Astor

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Wow, thanks a million Myles.
Just watched it and it's excellent.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
Thanks Myles and Peter! Who was the old windbag in the red sweater?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
PLEASE bring something close to this to NYC. Charles? Greg?