TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Joan Baez  (Read 9957 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Joan Baez
« on: November 13, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »
Here was a lady who had a voice that was a clear as crystal. Whenever I heard her sing, I likened it to what angels must sound like. There was much passion and soul in her renderings. Unfortunately most of her tapes were 3.4ips with questionable fidelity. Recently, I placed an ad in the local newpaper and got several tape offerings. I will be picking up 2 tapes featuring Ms. Baez and 2 tapes featuring Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond. I can hardly wait. Is there anyone else familiar with Ms. Baez?

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Baez
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 09:10:21 PM »
Hey Bob, I think about half of her recordings on Vanguard are 7.5 ips. I've seen her several times in concert and she can really put the hooks on an audience. Even noisy crowds hush when she's on stage. The last time I saw her was 3 years ago at a free festival in Golden Gate Park called the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival. She was just as good as when I saw her at the Newport Folk Festival when I was 12. Love her version of " The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down".
If your lucky and find a good copy of Time Out, your in for a real treat. Just a great tape.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:02:53 AM »
I'm a newbie, but have collected R2R prerecorded tapes for about 20 years (i have about 600 almost all classical). Of the few non-classical I have, four are Joan Baez albums all 7.5in 4tr. They are: Joan Baez V2 (Van VTC1638) - the album that first drew popular attention to Baez and her second album for Vanguard, Joan Baez in Concert Part 2 (Van VTC1679) which in vinyl was on Harry Pearson's Super Disc list in The Absolute Sound, Noel (Barclay Crocker VAN D79230 Dolby B), and The Lovesong Album (Barclay-Crocker VAN J0079 Dolby B), a compilation from several of her early albums. I think the latter two may be the only Baez albums produced by B/C. I think I would have bought others if they had been produced, since I was buying from B/C for several years.  This thread has spurred me to take a listen again.  As another suggestion, I like Baez's "Diamond and Rust" that she did after switching from Vanguard to A&M. She does a nasty imitation of Bob Dylan in the cut of Dylan's song "Simple Twist of Fate". The Mobile-Fidelity vinyl reissue was also on the Super Disc list. BTW, I first saw Baez in the spring of 1964 when our college freshman class Spring concert hired a then pretty unknown Bob Dylan as the main act. He surprised us by bringing Baez on stage to sing - not advertised for the concert. I started buying her records as they were released (Joan Baez V2 was the first one). They were all in mono because stereo records were $1 more than mono.

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:49 AM »
Steve and Mr. Newbie (please post what you'd like to be called sir),

Thank you both for these wonderful comments. I've always thought that Ms. Baez voice was as pure as the summer rain and there were very few songs I did not fall in love with. Ms. Baez always sang about real stuff. There was sometimes sadness and many times joy, but always lots of emotion in everything she sung. Of all the femail vocalist of that time I loved Joan Baez the best.

You guys have given me a trail to follow as I seek out her reel to reel recordings. Again, thank you guys for chiming in and providing the help I need to move forward in this great cause.

By the way, I need to again mention a lady who does not sing, but is one of the great orchestra leaders and a superb writer. Her name is Maria Schneider. This lady is a mixture of Stan Kenton, Duke Ellington, Gil Evans, Bill Holman and many other fine writers for orchestras. Her mentor was Gil Evans. If you get a chance, look for her latest CD on "Artist Share" (Sky Blue). She has also written and produced Coming About and Alegresse. These are all beautiful orchestral works that bring tears to my eyes almost everytime I hear them. Treat yourself to at least one of these albums.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline DRCope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:29:50 AM »
I'll throw in my vote for Joan as well. Diamonds & Rust is one of very few albums that gives me the shivers. Gorgeous.
Moving from hifi show exhibitor to producing new, analog recordings of small classical, jazz, blues, folk/roots music.

The gear just got bigger and heavier. Who knew?!

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:32:16 PM »
Well, I was just poking around here, checking out what other peoples music inclinations are, and just had to click on the Joan Baez thread. As a self-confessed and un-repentant folkie, (um, that would be old folkie at this point), I just had to throw down my .02 for Ms. Baez and her music.

There are few voices that have moved me as much as listening to her earlier albums, with their spare instrumental backing. There are even fewer singers of any generation who have the chops to pull off what she does. Brittany Spears, Alanisse Morsisette, Liz Phair, Amy Winehouse: eat your hearts out girls, because this here is the real deal. You don' t even have to be a folkie to appreciate what she can do.

S. Smith
Chicago, IL
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline Markus Berzborn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
I like Baez's "Diamond and Rust" that she did after switching from Vanguard to A&M. She does a nasty imitation of Bob Dylan in the cut of Dylan's song "Simple Twist of Fate". The Mobile-Fidelity vinyl reissue was also on the Super Disc list.

I got the MFSL and the Nautilus, and for me, the latter sounds even better.

I really would like to hear tapes of the old Vanguard recordings but wonder if they can actually improve on the original Vanguard LPs which are already excellent.
At the moment, there are also some audiophile vinyl reissues of early Baez records available which really sound great. And without the surface noise often to be found on old Vanguards.

Regards,
Markus

Offline reelnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:51:02 PM »
I also would vote for Joan. Most definitely. Or Judy Collins!
John Hanek (dedicated amateur)- A810, X2000R, X1000R, A3440, GX636. Played thru Yamaha CX1, MX1, YST-SW150 (2), S55 (2).