TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving/Rotate Your Stock  (Read 2842 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving/Rotate Your Stock
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
Happy Holidays you tape lovin' folks!
Things have been a little slow around here lately but I think it's just been that,.. slow. I've noticed that some of the other audio forums have also been a little lack luster and I'm attributing that to the world as a whole.
I for one have been busy, busy, busy trying to learn more of the pro audio end of things (in fact, it's pretty much taken over my life!) so I haven't spent as much time listening for pleasure.

But, here we are at the end of the year and as usual, I'm posting this reminder to "rotate your stock".
No, I'm not talking about that turkey stock simmering on the stove, this is my yearly reminder to play all your TP tapes at least once a year.
Even though most of you don't realize it, there are forces at work on those reels.
Mechanical forces that pull the tape toward the hub as well as electromagnetic forces that can lead to print through.
So, the best thing you can do for your tapes is to play all of them periodically. This releases and redistributes the mechanical forces and changes the layers adjacent to each other to minimize the audibility of print through.
If you're like me, there's a couple of tapes that get the most play time. They don't really need this exercise.
It's the ones that perhaps aren't your cup of tea or are otherwise neglected.
Playing these tapes will also force you to take a look at the tapes.
Was it stored in a played condition? In other words, is the tape pack nice and even?
Is the tape end secured like it was when it arrived at your doorstep?

Of course, as the number of TP tapes increases, this yearly maintenance will become increasingly time consuming, but I hardly think that it represents a hardship!

Enjoy!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades