Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Sound City Studios documentary and the analog/digital debate  (Read 5878 times)

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
Sound City Studios documentary and the analog/digital debate
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
I have no formal affiliation with this film (obviously) but found the newly released trailer to have some interesting scenes that look to be delving into the issue of how music is being recorded in the modern age. Given the accompanying visuals, it would seem there will be some commentary on analog vs. digital recording, and their resulting effect on the way we experience music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HQoOfiLz1G4

-apologies if this film has already been brought up in these forums. I didn't find it in my searches. Be well...
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Sound City Studios documentary and the analog/digital debate
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
Thanks Nick!
Coming to a theater near you? If so, I'm in!

This kinda reminds me of a discussion that took place at AES in SF regarding the sound of tape.

A tape manufacturer asked the audience to explain why folks would want to buy his tape to bounce digital recordings through and add the distortions that the analog media gives the sound.
He wondered why engineers don't simply change the eq/compression to make the same changes to the sound.
Well, if he was looking for a lively discussion, he certainly succeeded!
I'm usually pretty quiet at these workshops, being a total hack and just beginning to learn what my fellow attendees have known for years (or decades), but I couldn't resist giving my 2 cents worth.
"It's not as simple as eq or compression." I said and many others elaborated on what they could hear in their own studios on their own projects (many of them still track with tape).
Of course, this was a workshop on tape so the speaker was preaching to the choir but the discussion of this one topic filled the remainder of the time and quite a few folks stayed after discussing the subject until they were forced to leave the room for the next talk.

Since then, I've thought a lot about what tape does that folks like so much.
I think that aside from the stuff that's easily measured (such as distortions) it's the way that the medium reacts to the dynamics of music. Maybe it's the harmonic content and/or envelope after an impulse or how those envelopes layer over one another in a chord, but it does seem to me that it's dynamic in nature. What it does depends on the changes in level, the transient characteristic, pitch and all the other items that make up the nuts and bolts of music.

I do have to wonder if there is a "chicken or the egg" component here though.
Could all those great older recordings we love that were tracked and mastered on tape make us miss those characteristics when they're not present?
Sure.
And just like a great drummer will alter his technique to suite a particular venue's acoustic , did the players who truly embraced the recording studio learn to work with the characteristics of tape to make a better sound.
I'm sure that also happened.
But, I think these things are reasons why we perceive the the things that tape imparts to the sound as "musical".

Given the proliferation of tape machine modeled processing plugins (and I believe that a Waves product was modeled on a particular ATR102 some of us may have intimate knowledge of), folks can't seem to get enough of what analog tape does to their music.
I think that there's a "magic bullet" component at work here that partially explains the current popularity of tape/console emulation and interest in bouncing through tape and only time will tell if this is a passing thing.

Lot's of speculation and "I thinks" here so please take this post in the light that it was written in. Maybe you have your own ideas and I'd love to hear them.
But, that's one of things I really love about attending these talks at the AES Conventions. They make me think!

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »
Looks like they'll also be releasing an accompaniying album? Recorded to tape, though I'd be surprised if it were released on that medium.

http://buy.soundcitymovie.com/album

Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
Can't wait to see it Nick! Just watching the trailer again has my heart pumping.
I've noticed excitement building for the release on several sites. I'll keep my fingers crossed when it gets to Sundance.

I can't remember if I've ever seen a film with Rupert Neve in the cast credits.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 08:30:31 PM »
Nick,

Thanks for this thread.
It's certainly piqued my interest!

Happy New Year to All ;-)

- Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
Here's a bump for this thread since "Soundcity" is now showing at  theaters and also available for download/streams.

http://buy.soundcitymovie.com/
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:50:48 AM »
Just picked up the DVD at Best Buy last night for $16.99. They have Blu Ray also.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
This is excellent! Wish they would offer master dubs.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1