TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: TP-001. Has anyone received it yet?  (Read 12982 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
TP-001. Has anyone received it yet?
« on: November 14, 2007, 10:25:31 AM »
Mine has a scheduled delivery for tomorrow BUT I won't pick my tapes from my inlaws' in CA until christmas and won't be back home this year so please keep your impressions coming!
Xavier Cortes

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: TP-001. Has anyone received it yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »
Yes, please let us know when they start arriving, and please don't hesitate to e-mail me if there were any issues in packing, etc. We did a fair amount of experimentation to get to what we felt was a secure way to package the tapes. Hopefully what we came up with will prove to be satisfactory.

And of course it would be very nice to see some listening impressions posted too...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:46:45 PM »
OK...As of today... right now as a matter fact, we have completed shipment of all of TP-001 . Charter and Selective subscribers.  Yee Friggin Haw.( Yes I guess I do talk like that sometimes, Dan )  They should be arriving in their appointed destinations within days in the states, a little longer for those in far away places. So find a nice Cab or a smokey single malt, comfy chair, get ready to turn off the phone and put the dog out....

TP-002 is now in production and they should be hitting the big brown trucks round Monday.

More to come.

Thanks again everyone for all of your patience while we worked out the system to get you the very best.

Michael
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »
Mine arrived today. I am in the SF Bay area, so it is a short hop. The packaging looks fabulous. Can't wait until I have the machine to play it.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:40:29 PM »
Mmm! Huh,.. did someone say something! Oh Yeah,.. I am listening to it right now. Talk about engaging! Nice job Romo. I think this is the mixing/mastering equivalent to the fear that TV stars had about close-ups when they caught wind of what HD TV was capable of. That's if you can stop tapping your foot long enough to listen into the mix. This sounds so good that it's hard not to be transported to the Camillia room. I was thinking that it might sound better than the demo tape but maybe it's more of a matter of getting the intent of the album and the mood of the players. The comments at the end of the cuts are wonderful. I don't know if they're on the cd but I'm a real sucker for this kind of thing.
The package came in perfect condition. The engraving looks mighty nice and I love the foil edge art. The pictures don't do justice to the package as a whole.
Michaels right though. I wouldn't put a $30 rib eye on the grill and figure that you'll listen to just one cut. You can forget about that! You won't want it to ever end!
Thanks guys,.. we're doin' the antler dance tonight!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »
The comments at the end of the cuts are wonderful. I don't know if they're on the cd but I'm a real sucker for this kind of thing.

We thought that was a neat thing to leave in on a couple of songs, to give a little of the flavor of the session. Those aren't on the CD.

And it could be ever so slightly better sonic quality than the demo reel. I believe that demo reel is original AGFA 468 that we acquired before we could get the new tape. We like the new RMGI SM468 just a wee bit better.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:17:34 AM »
Just played TP-001 tonight. Wonderful sound. One question. My 001A reel starts with Blue Moon and my 001B reel starts with Drive On and then Foggy Day. The order on the sheet with the tapes is completely different. Are all the tapes like mine?  Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
Busted!
We realized a few weeks ago that the song order is screwed up on the cover art. I will be reprinting it in the next few weeks and sending out a correct sheet to all subscribers. Jacqui will be smacking us with an appropriately sized wet noodle as our penance.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
That's pretty funny guys! All of us have at one point or another had to do the same double take to find the song titles as we listened to 001 and it took till now for one of us to mention it. Honestly, I hadn't thought about that since the day I got the tape. When I demoed it at the last Headfi event, I even left the artwork out so the listeners could see the song titles! Some might say that it's because we get so caught up in the sound that practical issues become irrelevant. I'd put it a different way. It's more of a matter of, as audiophiles, we've been conditioned from years of disappointment from products falling well short of the claims, that when one really does come through, we overlook everything else.
I play tape 2 all the time. I really don't think that recorded sound can get more intimate than "Angel of Mine". Every instrument just flat out sounds real! Not the audiophile "realer". Spot on real! When I demo these things I force myself not to say anything that'll influence opinions. But it's tough not to point out things. I guess I'm always the most satisfied when the listener goes from end to end just lost in the music. This happens a lot with this tape.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades