TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: crown sx-822  (Read 5181 times)

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
crown sx-822
« on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:51 PM »
there is a crown sx-822 near me for about $500. Serviced recently by John Haines in Indiana. I haven't seen it, or the heads, but do i need an 8th deck?

my thinking is that i would turn my Tascam into an IEC machine (easy enough to do), use the 822 for NAB and put the B77 in the family room because it's the purty one :)

i've read the other thread on Crown 800s, but i'm wondering if anyone has anything else to add.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
Re: crown sx-822
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
well, i bought the machine. i've always liked the look of the crowns. seems like an interesting machine. only real complaint is that there is a bit of bounce on the tape/leader when you hit play. but that's what leader is for.

testing it out i had the B77 hooked up to it, and my 707 sitting next to the pair, all three on the dining room table and my highly patient wife looking on :)
Lance Bailey
--

Offline drdeaner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
I recently bought back an SX822 that I had owned many years ago.  John Haines has helped me repair the logic board, and I have decided to ditch the record/play electronics and install a tube playback electronics under the transport.  John French relapped the heads and I now have a 1/2 track and 1/4 track head on the stack, with head switching in the playback unit.  The transport makes a most satisfying "thwack" when it is put into play. Crown transports are built like tanks!

BTW, John Haines of Jemah Services is moving to Colorado in the next few weeks, and maybe getting out of the repair and parts business. He gave me his son's number in Indiana: 574-206-9080, and he may be a resource for Crown parts and repairs in the future.

Dean

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
Speaking of Crown decks, my old friend Tony Glynn is selling off a lot of his gear, including a Crown deck

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php/topic,3961.msg36131.html#msg36131
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:43:38 PM »
does he have a counter unit? i'm still sore about getting screwed out of the counter for my deck.
Lance Bailey
--