TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Listening Impressions  (Read 10807 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Listening Impressions
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Just got home from a private gathering of my headphone buddies.
One of the tapes that I took to demo was the B tape of the CCR.
Well, I had a hell of a time getting to play something other than that tape and some folks must've listened to it 5 or 6 times over the 4 days.

Over and over, they said that the ambiance that was clearly audible on the tape was all but missing on the lp or digital versions they were used to listening to.
There is also a deep groove to this tape that makes it impossible not to wag your head and tape your feet to the rhythm. You really have to concentrate to listen critically.

Many times I'd hear folks humming or singing those songs to themselves hours after they'd listened.
I often say that it's a recordings responsibility to honor the music and I can't imagine a better example of that.
Great stuff guys!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Asamel

• View Profile
Re: Listening Impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 09:46:53 AM »
This is great news!  Has anyone else ever salivated over a recording they don't have yet?

Bruce

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
Just played it for the first time in my little "studio" space on MTR-15 and was stunned!  Finally, the kind of material on tape I've been dreaming of!!!!! I'm hoping we can get more material like it...anyone for some Blue Cheer of Sir Douglas Quintet (or  Jimi Hendrix's "Electric LadyLand"???  The later would make me feel like I'd died and gone to heaven....)?

Can't wait to play it back later thru my Cornwalls' and RF-7's - :)
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline X-Factor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:32:40 AM »
Just completed a comparison between this TP issue and my 3 3/4 ips Fantasy release. Anyone want to guess which one is going up on eBay?
Leslie

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
I finally had a chance to listen to this Saturday night. It is a long story, but due to a move my system was down for a LONG time. I'm up again!  I had just finished listening to Fogerty's latest LP - "Wrote a Song for Everyone" - which I can recommend for the music, but not so much for the recording, which is affected by digititus. (You know, that afflication that results from over-exposure to PCM).  I needed more John Fogerty, and finally rolled this tape. My, what an achievement! I've known this album for a long time, and there were layers I have never heard before - I have newfound regard for Tom Fogerty's rhythm guitar, for example. Afterwards, I played the very fine SACD of Cosmo's Factory - while very good it lacked the extra depth and presence found in this tape. My tape front end is a stock Technics RS1520, which is switchable to the IEC curve, and I can only imagine what this sounds like with a better front end. 
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
Paul did a right fine job on this one. In fact when people ask how much more tape offers than LP this is the album I do the comparison with - an excellent original pressing vs. the TP album, played back thru the same electronics on a very good TT/cartridge and a very good tape machine. It definitely demonstrates our thought behind doing the Project.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project