TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Mystery tape.  (Read 6365 times)

Offline frosty55

• View Profile
Mystery tape.
« on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Anyone have any info on some half inch tape I have come across please?
Usually my 8 track takes Ampex 456 and would like to know if this mystery tape would be ok.
It has white coloured leader tape at both ends and has the words "Agfa Gevaert Magnet band" on it.
Thanks in advance.

Offline USR

• View Profile
Re: Mystery tape.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
Seems it could be Agfa tape then, but who knows. Someone, maybe Agfa, used to mark their tape here and there along its length but by far most tape wasn't marked. It seems the general but faulty practice is to assume the tape on the reel is the same as what's labeled on the box. I used to have a book with one foot sections of tapes of all kinds in it as a guide because this question used to come up quite a bit. The only problem, a major flaw, was that companies like Quantegy changed their oxides a lot and that pretty much blew the idea of, for instance, 456 always looking the same.

But in recent years, RMGI and ATR seem to have settled in on at least what their tape looks like. Then there's the Russian tape....

Have a great day!