TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Modern Uses of reel to reel for Joe Blogg  (Read 3151 times)

Offline laz

• View Profile
Modern Uses of reel to reel for Joe Blogg
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
I have inherited about 6 Teac and Akai reel to reel tape recorders. Some are decks whilst others have built in amp and speakers. They all accomodate tapes up to 7". Included in the lot is a ASC AS 6004 S deck- which can accomodate tapes up to 12". Also in the box are about 24 brand new 10.5" tapes. Ideally  I would like to keep the ASC AS 6004 deck (as it works really well) and use them with the 10.5" tapes. My question is what does one use these reel to reel nowadays for? The only thing that came to mind was recording radio programmes off the radio and  listening to it at leisure- or perhaps transferring some jazz and classical onto the tapes and listening to it through my analog NAD hi-fi to appreicate the more "warmer "anaologue sound.
If this sounds weird- forgive me this is my 1st post and I am not clued up with these tapes recorders. I am 31 years old- so these recorders are before my time! Appreciate all your help. Laz

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: Modern Uses of reel to reel for Joe Blogg
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Welcome Laz. We use our real names around here. Sounds like you got reel lucky. Did you get any manuals for the various decks? As for what to use the deck for: playing Tape Project as well as others master tapes. See posts in the Pre Recorded section.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:16:36 PM by Listens2tubes »
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Modern Uses of reel to reel for Joe Blogg
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
Hi Laz,

Welcome to the forum.
This forum is used (mainly) by subscribers to The Tape Project. So, the majority of it's members are using reel to reel for playback of high quality pre recorded tapes.
You might get a better understanding if you take a look at the home page.

http://www.tapeproject.com/

Many of us also have collections of pre recorded tapes from the late 50's to the mid 80's.
The recorders you mentioned were intended for playing back these older tapes as well as recording radio and records as you mentioned. It was not unusual for folks to record local live performances and eventually, their bands in what was the beginning of home studios. Home studios were fueled by the availability of multi track recorders that were affordable and easy to use.

There are quite a few professional recording studios who still roll tape. Even ones who record primarily to computers often have a machine or two to bounce tracks through. The reasons for this are many but the bottom line is that they like the sound.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades