Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: RS-1500 preventative maintenance  (Read 6452 times)

Offline wailinfree

• View Profile
RS-1500 preventative maintenance
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:46 PM »
Hi
I recently dug out my RS-1500 I got second hand in 1984. It was hardly used by the previous owner. I used it some but not extensively. It was stored in a rack mountable anvil like case so it's not gunky just dusty. I probably hadn't fire it up in some 20 years or more.
I took a chance and fired it up using a homemade variac type of device and brought it up to power slowly. I didn't hear anything explode so I may be ok for a bit although I would rather do some preventative maintenance before anything does go bad.
I believe I have a link to download a service manual but haven't printed it out yet.
Can someone recommend what preventative maintenance I should do.
I'm assuming open it up and check all the Caps especially in the power section
Any advice would be great.
This is my first post. I have been lurking since I recently broke out my echoplex again. It seems like every one is very helpful around here
Thanks in advance
Wailin

Offline genel

• View Profile
Re: RS-1500 preventative maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:54:12 AM »
 Hello, I hope it's not too late ...

I would suggest changing all the electrolytic caps .

Clean any dirt/dust out.

deox all switches and pots.

replace the two counter belts, they are probably in bad shape, you also may hear a squeal from the counter, I used a toothpick and some lubricant to correct that..
Check the condition of the two roller guides, they might need to be replaced. The DIY kit here is a good start.

Buy/download the service manual.

Serving content-free posts since 1984

Gene Lambert