TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: All That Jazz  (Read 5167 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
All That Jazz
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:38:06 PM »
After church this Sunday I decided to check out YouTube for Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers. And what do you know, I found myself fixated for over an hour listening to music. As much as I hate listening to music on my computer speakers I kept finding musicians I had not heard in years or had forgotten about. I had totally forgotten about Soft Machine, Jaco Pastorius, Carter Jefferson, Weather Report and Jeff Beck. I also heard music by a very young Wynton Marsallis, Woody Shaw and John Coltrane. What a music session. I only wish I could have heard these great musicians on reel to reel rolling at 15ips over my Magnapan speakers. Oh Well!

bob williams
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 03:39:41 PM by rbwtapeinterlink-Bob »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: All That Jazz
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 11:02:15 PM »
You can really get lost there. I'm glad that there is so much interesting material available, but of course sad that such a lot of it is somewhat - to - very compromised audio quality. It really adds insult to injury when very mediocre analog sound (say from an old optical film track) has low bit rate digital artifacts added to the mess.
But still, rather hear that than have it not available at all.

Glad that the Tape Project has been able to unearth some absolute gems of master tapes and make them available in all their original glory.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:37:08 AM »
Good Monday morning Mr. Steve Williams, thank you and you hit the nail on the head. I was not looking for quality but it was great hearing so many awesome musicians I had not heard for so long. As much as I love choral music, Bach, Berlioz, Verdi, etc, I have a much more difficult time listening to any of it on YouTube and such because of poor quality. However, there is a treasure trove of music and musicians on YouTube along with other stuff. I've even found YouTube presentations of my tape decks and other audio equipment. There is some value in YouTube and I guess that's why it's so popular and I understand it's FREE!

bob w.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:40:40 AM by rbwtapeinterlink-Bob »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
For me, YouTube has been indispensable for viewing videos of artists/songs that I haven't otherwise ever seen. A couple that come to mind:

The Byrds doing "Hey, Mr Tambourine Man"....with a special guest, Bob Dylan. David Crosby was still in the group, so what, about 1967?

Joan Baez doing an acoustic version of "Love is Just a Four Letter Word" from her kitchen in Woodside, California. This was pretty recent, but it sounds better as an all-acoustic song than it does in the Nashville gussied up version done back in 68 or so on the album of Dylan covers.

We Five doing "You Were On My Mind" when it first came out. The Honeycombs doing "Have I the Right" with the drumming of the great Honey Lantree. Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles doing "Take It Easy". Paul McCartney doing the first live performance of "A Day In the Life". Jake Shimabukuro doing "While My Guitar (ukulele?) Gently Weeps". Buffalo Springfield doing "Mr. Soul". There is so MUCH. Gordon Lightfoot in his prime. Sometimes I find myself browsing from one artist/song to the next, and I find an hour has passed.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »
Mr. Ream,
You know I missed Joan Baez as well as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. These are some of the great ones I listened to back in the 1970's. Thanks for the reminder.

bob williams

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 02:43:46 AM »
I've become quite a fan of YouTube music videos.
On some videos, you can get much better sound. These are the ones which are HD or HQ.
To be sure that you're hearing (and seeing) the "least" compressed version that is available on YouTube, go to your user account page (if you don't have an account, don't worry, I've never gotten any spam that could be attributed to my account).
There's a tab/button for playback. Be sure to check the box that forces playback at HD.

Unfortunately, most of the videos which have been transfered from old B&W film aren't available as HD.
Some of my favorites of these are from major networks, public television and the BBC. In most cases, these have been professionally transfered to digital so high quality files exist.
I'm looking into what it will take to see these archived files.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 05:42:08 AM »
Good Tuesday Morning Steve,
As always, great to hear from you. Thanks for this additional info. Wouldn't it be great if the master tapes could be used to generate all of this great music. You and yours have a blessed day.

bob williams