Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: JRF MAGNETICS  (Read 6289 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
JRF MAGNETICS
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:00:10 PM »
Good afternoon all,
I had the unique opportunity to contact JRF Magnetics recently and what a surprise I got. I've read here about the special qualities Mr. French has but really did not think he would be so special. I wanted to get Nortronic tape heads for my Tascam 42B tape deck. The present tape heads on my deck are all original and the playback head is of the very low output variety. Since I have an outstanding tech who is able and has the testing tools to properly install and align tape heads, I did not have to send the head block from my tape deck. I also did not know there is more than one kind of Nortronics tape playback head. When I called and spoke with Mr. French he was most kind and gentle. He took the time to explain what he would have to do to match the Nortronics head to my tape deck. He also explained that Nortronics made 200 and 400mHy tape heads. After a very thorough explanation (5 minutes) I decided to go with the 400mHy heads. Actually, I had to insist Mr. French return to work as I felt guilty he spent so much time with me. Bottom line, this man epitomizes great customer care and service. His is one of the reel to reel services I will use and won't hesitate to tell others how impressed I was. Thank you Mr. French.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:57:28 AM by rbwtapeinterlink-Bob »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: JRF MAGNETICS
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
Bob, you nailed it! My visits to him were amazing. He is the easiest to talk audio to and has the creds to teach a master class. I want to work there!!!
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
Good Wed Morning Listens2Tubes,

I certainly hope you can get a shift there with Mr. French. There would be so much to learn and to apply to your own tape deck situation. You would be like the proverbial rabbit thrown in the briar patch (LOL). With your growing collection of tape decks there is much to be gained spending time with Mr. French. Go for it audio friend.

Bob
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
Good afternoon all,
I had the unique opportunity to contact JRF Magnetics recently and what a surprise I got. I've read here about the special qualities Mr. French has but really did not think he would be so special. I wanted to get Nortronic tape heads for my Tascam 42B tape deck. The present tape heads on my deck are all original and the playback head is of the very low output variety. Since I have an outstanding tech who is able and has the testing tools to properly install and align tape heads, I did not have to send the head block from my tape deck. I also did not know there is more than one kind of Nortronics tape playback head. When I called and spoke with Mr. French he was most kind and gentle. He took the time to explain what he would have to do to match the Nortronics head to my tape deck. He also explained that Nortronics made 200 and 400mHy tape heads. After a very thorough explanation (5 minutes) I decided to go with the 400mHy heads. Actually, I had to insist Mr. French return to work as I felt guilty he spent so much time with me. Bottom line, this man epitomizes great customer care and service. His is one of the reel to reel services I will use and won't hesitate to tell others how impressed I was. Thank you Mr. French.

Bob W.

You'll like the new heads!
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables