TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Tape shipping and/or carrying  (Read 6351 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Tape shipping and/or carrying
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
First I don't know if this is the right category to put this thread.

I live in Mexico. This country has some terrific things and also some terrible ones. Among the terrible ones you can count the postage system and the Customs office. I can tell you many experiences of things either not arriving or arriving damaged due to inspections.

I usually order my audio stuff to a US address I have access to and I go there twice or three times a year and carry my stuff down. Not comfortable many times but so far has proven the safest and usually cheapest way.

My question is: how do I bring my Tape Project tapes down? I am receiving them up there and was planning on putting all ten albums on a box by year end and bringing it back with me after new year. I was told however, that the box containing TP-001 has big legends cautioning against X-ray inspection and I panicked. I thought that x-rays were safe for magnetic recorded media. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot,

Xavier Cortes

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tape shipping and/or carrying
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »
Xavier,

Airport X-ray machines may also have high magnetic fields from the machinery that generates the x-rays. My suggestion would be to contact the airline in advance and explain that you are taking some x-ray sensitive materials with you--I assume you are planning to take them as accompanied baggage. Ask how early you have to get it to them, and at what department, in order to get it hand-inspected before it goes into the cargo hold. My other suggestion is to get it double boxed, with at least 2 inches of packing material between the inner and outer boxes. This will also protect it thermally. You probably know those cargo holds can get down below freezing.

The extra care you take getting them home will be rewarded in the long run by the enjoyment you will get from them.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:14:33 PM »
thanks paul. and thanks to answering my question on the thread that was locked!
Xavier Cortes

Offline Saturntube

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:10:28 AM »
Hello XCortes,

Maybe you could cross the border driving,  no Xrays there!!!  A bit too much hassle of course.

I have an Ampex 350 transport and big horns in Mexico city,  where are you?

Offline Saturntube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:58:40 PM »
I live around the Satelite area,  I already have a sort of audio club,  we mainly meet around the Sta fe area,  some live on this side of the poets bridges and some on the other...But we should meet anyday.... I am slowly turning everyone into horns!

call me at my cel  22721300  with the cerocuarentaycuatrocincuentaycinco or course...

All the Best

Jorge