TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: I'm back boys!  (Read 6871 times)

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
I'm back boys!
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »
It has been a long minute since I have posted anything here.  I took a break from the idea of tape for a long while and I have actually been away from my stereo all together for the last six months or so.  That being said, I have begun the process of purging equipment and rebuilding a nice simple system.  I have an Otari 5050 BII.  It turns and counts, but it needs a good once over by a good tech.  I am sure I want it for playback only and to bypass internal electronics and just have a R/L out to a tape amp.  I am not/can not do the deck work myself.

Does anyone know a good tech in the Baltimore/Washington area that can get my Otari ready for a TP album?  I am building speakers and and hunting down a couple of pieces of gear and have until about mid September before I need the deck done.  But I need somebody that understand s what we are doing here and can get me done for a reasonable price.  ($500>)

I would drive as far as North Jersey and Southern VA.

Thanks,
B

Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: I'm back boys!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:24:10 PM »
http://www.njfactoryservice.com/home.html Russ is the man in New Jersey for tape deck service.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline cam3xl

• Lil' Dizzy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
Hey Listens,

Thanks for the referral.  They are close to where I grew up and I needed a good excuse to go home for a weekend.  And his prices are right on point.  I'm headed up next month!

Also, lesson learned.  I did a search on some of my (very) old posts.  I have asked this question more than once and have always gotten good response.  Search old post fist before I bother folks next time.  LOL.

Now to find a used tape head amp to purchase......hhhmmmmm.
Whatever sounds good,  Do that!

Peace,
Bhek

Pro-Ject Xpression 1, Denon DL-160 MC cart., Sony DVP-555ES SACD, Maple Tree Audio Ultra 4+ Pre, Audio Research D100 power, Onkyo Tuner, Otari 5050 IIB 2speed 2/4 track R2R.  Mirage OM-9.

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
Hello my friend Bhek,

Why not outline the problems you are having with your Otari 5050/2 here on this very forum. There are many here with that particular tape deck. There just might be someone here who has dealt with some or all of the difficulties you are experiencing and can provide some guidance. If nothing else, at least you might get enough info so that when you do take the deck in for repairs, you'll have some idea what's wrong. Be exact and someone here might be able to help.

bob
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.