Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: where to get flanges  (Read 4482 times)

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
where to get flanges
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »
I've started buying pancake, and i'm going to need reels for it. Since it is already on hubs what i really need is flanges.

Instead of getting a mishmash of reels and flanges, I'd like to get all the same - i'd even consider moving all my existing self recorded tape to these flanges (pre-recorded would stay on their own flanges). This gives ma a "house look" to my big reels that really appeals to me.

I could talk to local CNC companies, but I'm wondering where does the tape project get it's flanges made?

I'm willing to put money at this project and would need 60 - 100 flanges so i might be able to take advantage of numbers (set being the biggest cost in these things).

Nothing too complex - here's a mockup - the artwork would either be silkscreen or rubdown transfer (i have a source for making screens and for making transfers).

Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: where to get flanges
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »
Our flanges come from a company that has a minimum order quantity in the thousands and you would need to spend several thousand dollars for a custom die for your cutout. I suspect your best is indeed to look into having flanges made on a CNC mill, or having them laser cut and then cleaned up and finished. If budget allows you might look into the reels from Reeltronix. They are stunning.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
thanks!

"thousands" is a bit more than i would need... thanks for the heads up on reeltronix - i'd forgotten about them.

i have access to a CBC wajerjet, the guys said that they'd run off a few for me, but they mentioned "burrs" on the edges. not good.  maybe a local CNC is the best way to go.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 01:20:16 AM »
You might try the major tape manufacturers--if you ask nicely they might sell you a couple hundred of their flanges without their logos. You wouldn't get your custom window pattern, but the stock patterns look pretty nice, then you could customize them with your screening, and have a unique look with the minimum of cost and aggravation.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:06 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for the thread and replies.
I'm now purchasing pancakes as well.
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »
You might keep an eye out on Craig's list for someone getting rid of reels of bad tape.
A couple of years ago I found a guy that was selling a large lot of 456 that was from a small local studio. It was all insanely sticky (worst I've seen).
I was able to buy the 50+ reels of 1/4 and 1/2 inch for around $80 (the flanges for 1/2 Ampex are usually the same as 1/4 but some 1 and 2 inch have 5 screw holes and won't work with 1/4 inch hubs. Some Agfa 1/4 inch reels also have 5 screws).
When I got them home, I took the flanges off, discarded the tape, and cleaned the flanges and hubs thoroughly (just in case there was any mold spores present).
Now I have enough flanges, bolts, screws and spare hubs for a lifetime.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades