TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Question :)  (Read 7291 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Question :)
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:54:28 AM »
When is a safety tape not a  "traditional safety" tape?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Question :)
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
Perhaps when the engineer is not wearing the traditional dress when he makes it? In general a safety is a copy of the master. Perhaps knowing who has coined this terminology might help shed some light on the subject.

The only thing I can think of is it might be a copy of a safety. Or it might be like our running masters in which each of the three masters we have is in fact a direct copy from the original master. In which case of course they aren't safeties in the traditional sense, they are all running masters of the same generation.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
Myles,

Not knowing the context of your question, let me just give a little info on the terms as I have seen them used. Traditionally, that is.

I was taught that a safety copy should be intercuttable with the master, so if the master was damaged it could be repaired by inserting a small section from the safety copy. This means, of course, that it's a flat copy, same speed, level and EQ curve as the master. Anything else--EQ copy, leveled copy, different curve for export, Dolby when the master wasn't, non-Dolby when the master was--would not qualify as a safety copy.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Regarding tapes being sold;

Since the Tape Project has made tapes such a hot commodity, it seems like the terms "master tape" and "safety" (as seen on eBay) have gotten blurred.
Because of this, it's alway good to inquire with sellers what exactly the tape is.
Real safeties or masters should have good info on the box/reel or info sheet.

I've seen tapes being sold that are on new RMGI tape that are being sold as "safeties". Or tapes that were running masters for vinyl production being sold as "masters".
That's not to say that they couldn't be excellent sounding. And it might not be that the sellers are being intentionally misleading, it simply means that they're being misrepresented as masters and safeties.
And actually, the "real" master/safety could have issues such as sticky shed so having a copy could be more desirable than having the original except for the bragging rights.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
Perhaps when the engineer is not wearing the traditional dress when he makes it? In general a safety is a copy of the master. Perhaps knowing who has coined this terminology might help shed some light on the subject.

The only thing I can think of is it might be a copy of a safety. Or it might be like our running masters in which each of the three masters we have is in fact a direct copy from the original master. In which case of course they aren't safeties in the traditional sense, they are all running masters of the same generation.

That is the traditional definition of safety. But there's another variation that came up recently in the context of a LP reissue :) I don't think it'll be immediately obvious but once I unveil it, everyone will facepalm :)
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »
Myles,

Not knowing the context of your question, let me just give a little info on the terms as I have seen them used. Traditionally, that is.

I was taught that a safety copy should be intercuttable with the master, so if the master was damaged it could be repaired by inserting a small section from the safety copy. This means, of course, that it's a flat copy, same speed, level and EQ curve as the master. Anything else--EQ copy, leveled copy, different curve for export, Dolby when the master wasn't, non-Dolby when the master was--would not qualify as a safety copy.

Think Columbia 30th St. Studios :)
Myles B. Astor

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
Yep! :) I think we often forget that back in the Golden Days that two decks were run in parallel (which kinda evolved into digital recording and tape backup).

But my question is be how does Wilder know the difference in sound isn't due to degradation caused by the playing of the tape (how many times was it used to create masters--or were the tapes even stored in the same place?) vs. the head alignment.
Myles B. Astor

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 08:57:12 PM »
Great article on some of my favorite subjects (tape, mastering and live recordings)!
I'd be interested in Paul's answer too, but I would think that alignment issues would result in phase related transient smearing while tape wear would be a frequency loss primarily in the highs.
If there were other issues with the tape like stretching or wrinkling, they would result in phase/timing issues too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »
Like Steve I too feel this is a great read for all tapeheads. Thanks Dan. :-)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »
Also, when digital stereo was starting, there would often be an analogue tape running in parallel for safety purposes. I know that Decca did this in the late '70's to early 80's when they were first starting. I think this was the source of the analogue master of Keith Johnson's Exotic Dances that the TP did. Paul can confirm this.

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »
Myles,

Paul,

Thanks for this lucid definition...most excellent :-)

Myles,

Thanks for initiating the thread!
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)