Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Zappa Archives  (Read 5051 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Zappa Archives
« on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
I was lucky enough to have seen Frank Zappa a number of times in the late 60's to mid 70's. The most memorable was a New Years concert in 73 or 74(?) at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. At the time, the Mother's included George Duke on keyboards and Jean-Luc Ponty on violin and between the Mothers, Ponty's and Duke's numbers, the concert lasted almost 4 straight hours!

So, needless to say, I'm a big fan!
Here's a link to Zappa.com and I think all you tape lovin' folks will enjoy seeing the short video of Joe Travers, Vaultmeister of the Zappa archives.
Enjoy!

http://www.zappa.com/stufftoget/video/index.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: Zappa Archives
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:51 AM »
Zappa would be the the Quintessential TP artist
Xavier Cortes

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »
My first real concert was Frank Zappa and the Mothers Of Invention, Orlando Sports Arena, 1968. I was 11. My brother, who was 13, met Ansley Dunbar in the bathroom and introduced him to me. I played drums at that time. Pretty sure it was Roy Estrada on Fender Bass. The stage antics had us laughing our asses off and the top-notch musicianship made for an unforgettable show. Freak Out was the album they were mostly playing off of.

I see Freak Out is being re-released on vinyl. Don't know if the original master tape was used for this... Hope it's not like the Beatles new releases from digital files. I read somewhere some of Zappa's master tapes are in bad shape.

Happy 4th of July!

Ray Satcher
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:45:26 PM by Satch »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
Happy 4th Ray!

It's good to hear from someone else who's parents were cool enough to let their (and in my case drive) kids go to concerts at the time.
I'm about the same age as your brother and my mom drove my buddy and I to see both Hendrix and Cream in '68.
The next year, that same friend's mom drove us to the first Atlanta Pop Festival. We were supposed to meet her at the gate at a certain time that night.
Of course we totally forgot about the time. And in one of those amazing mom stories, somehow she found us in a crowd of over 100,000!
I can still hear her voice as she called out her son's name (we were close to the stage lip and IIRC, Blood Sweat and Tears were playing).
When I looked over, there she was. Standing in a pumping crowd of dirty concertgoers in a nice neat dress clutching her shinny black purse.
On the 2 hour drive home, she scolded my buddy as if he'd wandered off at the store and we looked at each other in astonishment for the entire ride home.

I guess I should have told this story on St. Mother's Day.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Satch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »
You're lucky indeed Steve.

I really wanted to see Hendrix bad and would have found a way if he'd only played in Orlando. Jacksonville and Miami were too far away to talk any available parents to drive us and I couldn't talk my friends into hitchhiking. ha, ha...

Ray Satcher

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Enjoyed reading every post!
Man -- Moms are cool :-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)