Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: California Audio Show  (Read 11235 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
California Audio Show
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:30:57 AM »
This years CAS will be on August 9th-11th at the Westin SFO in Milbrae.
For the first time, there's going to be a dedicated headphone section similar to what's been going on at Rocky Mtn.
I've been hired to run a booth for a buddy that runs HeadAmp (or perhaps it's my tape rig that's been hired and I'm just along for the ride).
He designs and sells high end headphone amps and I'll be featuring one of his electrostatic amps with my tape rig and Tape Project tapes as the primary source.
I've always enjoyed this show and it's always cool to hook up with the Bay Area's Tape Project subscribers.
As of now, the "HeadMasters" section will be in the Sequoia/Redwood Ballroom down the hall from the lobby and I'll be at booth #6.
I'll be the one kissing the "Best of Show" trophy!

Hope to see you guys there!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:33:47 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Re: California Audio Show
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
I'll be looking for those complimentary round trip airline tickets and show passes so I can help out. This should be REAL AUDIO FUN!!!
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline KevO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
I look forward to seeing you Steve.

-Kevin
Kevin Olson

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:44:29 PM »
Besides Steve I know of two other rooms spinning TP tapes. On the second floor of the ballroom wing, in the Cottonwood ballroom, one of the Bay Area's better dealers, Music Lovers, has Vivid loudspeakers, VTL electronics, and various sources including tape. Also, in room 327, Warren of Music First Audio, will have some of our tapes.

And if you want to have a really good time, be sure to miss the panel I'm speaking on, Sunday at 2.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Cool!
The more the merrier.
Either of those guys running 1/2 inch?

BTW, I'll be warming up with Kurt Elling so no hurry on the demo tape Paul.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
Went yesterday. It was fun. Tape was present.
Good chatting with you both Steve and Paul.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Hibernian

• View Profile
    • On A Higher Note
Re: California Audio Show - Nat King Cole & George Shearing
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »

Paul Stubblebine was kind enough to bring the two reels of Nat Plays & George Sings to us for a little quality control session; we played the first reel on Saturday afternoon & all of Sunday. Those Capitol strings, do the sound good ? No, pretty much freaking amazing !  Nat's voice is honey smooth. Listeners did comment on the unusual soundstage placement; George Shearing on the left & Nat King Cole on the right, with the orchestra in the middle. Paul Stubblebine on Sunday morning explained that the two performers had equal billing on the record, so the engineers, gave them equal space on the soundstage also. The balance between the two was perfect however.  The reverb was tastefully utilized.

Musically, its a scorcher of an album; Nat is in fine form and the George is relaxed and allows Nat plenty of room to shine.  The songs themselves have stood the test of time, I used September Song on a demo compilation a few years back & even after hearing it hundreds of times, I still enjoyed playing it over the weekend.

My thanks to all those who shared terrific music with us...
Philip O'Hanlon - TP Charter Subscriber.  EAR Technics 1520 - fully loaded. Sonorus ReVox PR99 mk II & mk III. Brinkman Balance w/ Van Den Hul Colibri, Luxman PD-444 - SME 3012R w/ Zu Denon 102  & Triplanar mk. VII w/ Ortofon Kontrapunkt C. EMT 931 / 929 w/ TS15. Loricraft record cleaner.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:08 PM »
I really wish I could have gotten a chance to hear the other two rooms spinning Tape Project tapes.
Paul was kind enough to provide me with a couple of samplers and I ran those most of the time.
They included a cut from "Nate Sings, George Plays" (I'm pretty sure that's how it is Phillip?). I literally forced anyone who was about to leave before they had a chance to hear that track, stay!
Man,.. I can-not-Wait to get my sweaty palms on that one!

It was very cool to see a few of the Tape Project members there and had a great time chatting with all of them. It's amazing how many of the elder audiophiles love to relate their fond memories of reel to reels that have been collecting dust for decades and their excitement to hear new releases.
That is what I call fun!
Here's a picture of Kevin doing a little listening. Great meeting you KevO!

steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »
Here's a couple of articles from the audio press that has some pretty pictures of me and my Tape Project rig.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/cas_2013.htm

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/08/28/cas-2013-headmasters-round-2/
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
Thanks, Steve. Good to see you and your stuff there. Interesting that my friend Dennis Davis wrote the first article.
He also mentioned FIM, whom I am now working part time for.  In addition to the Decca book, Winston Ma has asked me to write the liner notes and do a little coordination on some of his new releases.

Larry

Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub