Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Studer A 810 refining  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
Studer A 810 refining
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
Hello to all!

I am a recent owner of a great A 810 as well. Not yet deeply auditioned so far but I know that it has been calibrated by professional lab so at a hurried check it sounds as expected: dynamic and musical pending the tape source recording quality.

So just a little question: as far as cosmetic appearance is concerned my machine is in very good conditions, what was not near mint has been replaced (rack side rails, mains switch, front and upper panel repainted,...). Just a little spot: my 810 has a VU meter with slight scratches due to that bloodied tape cutting guide located above... So the transparent plastic is lightly scratched and the grey panel above it as well. I looked for spares but unfortunately Studer and Audio-House.ch (who is in charge of "vintage" Studer RtR spares) both have no longer available the VU plastic glass and the metallic grey panel around it.

Could someone suggest me where to find these items, even used but in better shape, to put my 810 in top conditions? OK, Ebay may be a good way but I have to hope that these paricular items will be on auction... and often they are from very used equipment!

I appreciate your support!

Cheers,

Guglielmo

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Studer A 810 refining
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:19 PM »
Hey Guglielmo,

You should join the yahoo Studer group and ask there.
I think your best shot at find a nice vu cover is to find someone who has a parts machine.
There was a big thread on one of the Studer lists regarding VU's recently but I didn't read any of the posts. Maybe you got in that thread?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/STUDER/

Also, you should ask guys who repair 810's. There's a seller on eBay from Ontario (IIRC) who refurbs Studers and sells them. When you stumble across folks like that, contact them directly rather than waiting for them to put exactly the item you need up for auction. They could easily have a dustly pile of 810's just for parts.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:58 AM »
Hello ironbut,

thanks for contribution. I appreciate your useful suggestion about Studer Yahoo Groups, actually I didn't know them so I will reach for searching those spares.

Please which is the Ebayer name for IIRC in Ontario? I didn't find it...

Cheers,

Guglielmo

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
The eBay seller is Filmco.
Here's one of their listings;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-rollers-plus-pinch-roller-for-Studer-A812-reel-to-reel-recorder-/181006161655?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a24ced6f7

(IIRC is "if I recall correctly",.. internet slang)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Guglielmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:54:51 AM »
Thanks ironbut, I have just contacted them... Actually they have an impressive stock of Studer parts so I hope, sooner or later!

Cheers

Guglielmo

(Never heard about IIRC... Not so familiar with net slang!)