Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Ray Dolby RIP  (Read 3905 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Ray Dolby RIP
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Ray-Dolby-pioneering-sound-engineer-dies-at-80-4810882.php

For tape buffs, I believe that the invention of dolby B may have been the most revolutionary, since it transformed the lowly dictating machine cassette to a reasonable player of music.  In the late '70's Barclay-Crocker's use of dolby B applied to some of the best commercial recordings made 7.5ips 4 track R2R a really fine hi fidelity source. I discovered this particularly with Steve Koto's custom modified original Dolby Labs dolby B encoder/decoder which has made my B-C tapes really come alive.

The Decca people told me that they used dolby A in some of their mastering in the '70's.

Of course, Ray Dolby made his big money in films.

Larry

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 12:13:35 PM by astrotoy »
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Dolby RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
Sorry to hear about Dolby.
Talk about a life with impact on his chosen industry!
I'm sure his passing will be felt in our local arts community too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Ray Dolby RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »

Yes, he has had at least as great an impact on sound for home and theater as anyone of his era.
I posted on facebook when I learned of his passing that I could scarcely go 10' around my house without encountering his name on some piece of media or equipment.
His Dolby A was increasing the dynamic range of studio recordings before most of the world encountered "B" for cassettes. His work to improve optical film tracks and give them greater fidelity and dynamic range, as well as stereo, led to the development of analog home and theater surround sound, which brought us to Dolby Digital 5.1 etc. and where we are today.

At one time, I was working with one of Dolby's first employees on AES historical committee events and attended a couple of AES events @ their SF facilities. Through him, I had the pleasure of being introduced to Ray Dolby at one of these events. I was rather in shock, as he was just there mingling with the rest of the crowd at the reception.
An experience I will always treasure.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...