Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Dolby SR option  (Read 9497 times)

Offline blambert1

• View Profile
Dolby SR option
« on: November 30, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »
I would absolutely love it if you would offer tapes with Dolby SR (I would pay extra for this and a tones reel if necessary).

Considering that you are printing at 15 ips and there is a lot of dynamic music in your catalog, it would be awesome to get s/n ratios that SR offers.

My 2 cents.

Brent Lambert
The Kitchen Mastering

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Dolby SR option
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:24:21 AM »
Paul should weigh in on this rather than me, but I will suggest that when you hear one of our tapes you might reconsider the necessity for noise reduction, as the noise floor is already very low. Below is a photo I found on wikipedia, of the prototype Dolby SR board. For some reason I have this nagging hunch it might color the sound a little...;^)>

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:31:01 AM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »
OK, now that's funny!!!     :-))

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline Scott D. Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
Hi Guys,

I know that there are going to be folks out there who are going to weigh in against it (it colors the sound, blah, blah, blah), but I also would love to see Dolby SR (or even Dolby A) as an option. This is especially the case for material with a wide dynamic range. However, I will hold off on judgment until I hear a few tapes.

By the way, I love what you guys are doing! I have been involved in the field of professional audio for over 35 years, and always wished that I could have a source of tapes that sounded as good as the masters I recorded.

I wish you the very best of luck with your venture.

Scott D. Smith

Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

I would absolutely love it if you would offer tapes with Dolby SR (I would pay extra for this and a tones reel if necessary).

Considering that you are printing at 15 ips and there is a lot of dynamic music in your catalog, it would be awesome to get s/n ratios that SR offers.

My 2 cents.

Brent Lambert
The Kitchen Mastering
Scott D. Smith CAS
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:17 PM »
The noise floor on these tapes is indeed very low. I wouldn't be surprised is in many of the albums the actual noise floor is dominated by the original master rather than the modern tape that the TP is using.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 08:05:10 PM »
When I demoed the TP tapes, several listeners ( old-er timers like me) have asked what kind of noise reduction was used on the tapes. They couldn't believe how low the tape hiss was. I agree with Tubes n tapes, if you compare the noise floor of the Jacqui Naylor to the older releases ( Rollins/Evans) it's the noise from the masters that you'll hear. Any attempt to get rid of it would compromise the importance of the tapes IMHO. They are, after all, like the ultimate safety masters. Hmm, maybe CV was right, we should all be applying for grants!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:12:05 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline DRCope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:13:23 AM »
Adding noise reduction in remastering tapes recorded without noise reduction would get you what, exactly? The noise floor is quite low to start, and, as is the case with random vinyl background noise, after 30 seconds, your brain stops registering it anyway, unless you're focused on noise rather than music. Please don't starting adding coloring and preservatives to the organically grown produce!
Moving from hifi show exhibitor to producing new, analog recordings of small classical, jazz, blues, folk/roots music.

The gear just got bigger and heavier. Who knew?!