TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Technics RS 1520 Complete RECAP and Mod  (Read 7130 times)

Offline reel to reel collector

• View Profile
Technics RS 1520 Complete RECAP and Mod
« on: September 29, 2013, 09:19:37 PM »
I have a RS 1520 I WANT A COMPLETE RECAP done on as well as bottlehead kit installed on. I also wanted to conver the headblock to record and play 4 track and play 2 track tapes such as tape project ones

Does anyone know a good tech that is qualified to do this?

Thanks

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS 1520 Complete RECAP and Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Hi, (BTW we use our real names on this forum. Please read Forum Rules)

Welcome to the forum!

For a major job like this (sounds like you want a total rebuild), I would have this done by someone like J-Corder.
And unless there is some particular reason you need the extra features on the 1520, you may want to see if Jeff will just take your machine and sell you a 1506 which has the head configuration you've chosen. It would just need the Bottlehead kit installed.
The main advantage of getting a J-Corder machine is everything has been rebuilt so you'd be getting one that's better than new.

http://www.j-corder.com/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline reel to reel collector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:49 PM »
Sorry I didn't know. J corder  does not do capacitor replacement. He does only full service. I was looking for a tech that specializes in the RS 1520 to get it done. Also some Mods. Do you know of anyone? I can ship the unit. Thats not a problem
Thank You
Paul Liu

Offline X-Factor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »
Hello Paul!
If you are looking for someone to replace components on the boards perhaps you should seek a highly regarded tech who has experience in modifications and upgrades. You may have to supply them with a schematic of your deck. I had my Technics RS1500 output path modified by a local (to me) place here in Canada. Blackgate caps, silver wire and other high quality were installed as well as silver WBT output jacks. Even without a break-in period the deck sounded astoundingly better. A local reel tech said he never heard bass like that from the part upgraded RS1500. I strongly recommend getting at least one pair of premium jacks for playback at the minimum and replace one pair of input jacks if you are recording.
If you require servicing on the mechanical components or the heads then do a search on this site.
Regards, Leslie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:50:10 PM by X-Factor »
Leslie