Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: A crazy idea, but...  (Read 6431 times)

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
A crazy idea, but...
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »
I have a crazy idea for a title that, at first blush, makes no real sense. But then as you think about it, it makes more sense than most others to really generate interest in this thing. My suggestion is Jingle Bell Jazz on Columbia Records from 1962, CS-8693 (LP). This is truly an all-star affair that sounds warm and wonderful, IF you are lucky enough to find it in it's original form. It has been re-released several times over the years, on both LP and CD, with ever-changing song titles along the way. The last version of this album, on CD from 1985, is truly horrific. Here's why: in the early 1980's, Columbia wanted to record their current roster of Jazz stars digitally. People like Dexter Gordon, Wynton Marsalis, etc. were asked to do Christmas numbers. These songs were then "blended" with many of the numbers done back in the 1962 release to make an all new version of Jingle Bell Jazz. What you find out when you listen is that the numbers done digitally sound so bad, it's scary. Those cover the first half of the last version of the CD. Then, all of a sudden, Duke Ellington comes on from 1962 doing "Jingle Bells", and these earlier 1962 tracks sound remarkably good! Columbia wanted to show off their latest technology, and ended up, instead, showing off the fact that they used to do it right, once upon a time! The original version of this LP has the red bag filled with Christmas gifts on the front cover, and is in Stereo 360 Sound. Why this title makes so much sense is this: People have many guests over to their homes for Christmas parties and such at holiday time. Imagine the look on peoples faces when they hear Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, Carmen McRae, Lionel Hampton, etc. sounding so lovely on tape! Like many early 1960's Columbia's, it was well recorded in New York at the 30th Street studios (probably by Fred Plaut) and produced by Teo Macero. It's both a nice way to introduce people to the Tape Project, and hear great Christmas music at the same time! Everyone wins. What do you think?
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: A crazy idea, but...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:45:53 PM »
I have the original LP, inherited from my dad who was a jazz guy. It's about the only Xmas album I look forward to, along with Jacqui's Smashed for the Holidays. Good suggestion! Dunno if we could sell enough to make it work, but I do like that album very much. Hamp doing White Christmas, Deck us all with Boston Charlie by Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, Carmen doing the Xmas song, great stuff. Hey, it's the right time of year to dig it out!
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project